"Lucaya" Top 5 Page for this destination Lucaya by grkboiler
Lucaya Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 178 photos
Lucaya is the main tourist area on Grand Bahama Island. It has shopping, resorts, golf, watersports, and some great beaches.
Modern Lucaya has only been around since the 1950's, when American entrepreneur Wallace Groves saw potential on the island. His vision of a professionally planned area designed for luxury living and vacationing with state-of-the-art utilities and infrastructure is true today. This is unique to the Bahamas and the entire Caribbean, and even though Groves passed away, he is still respected by the people of the island.
If coming on a cruise ship, Lucaya is only a 15 minute ride from the harbour. It is the best place to spend your day on Grand Bahama with a limited amount of time.
If coming to stay on the island for an extended period of time, Lucaya is the main place for resorts. It is a good idea to see the rest of the island also - I wish I had the chance to do this but time was an issue.
I spent about 8 hours on Grand Bahama. After docking at Freeport and consulting with a taxi driver, he recommended Lucaya because of its beaches and shopping as the best place to spend a short day.
This picture is of me and my cousin Nick on the beach near the Sheraton resort.
- Pros:Great beaches
- Cons:Most shops closed on Sundays
- In a nutshell:The place to stay on Grand Bahama Island
You can't visit Grand Bahama without stopping at one of the island's beautiful beaches. The sand is great, the water is... more travel advice
If you are hungry, all kinds of restaurants can be found at Port Lucaya Marketplace, from fast food, pubs, Italian,... more travel advice
grkboiler's Related Pages
Lucaya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Lucaya"
- "Tourist Destination East of Freeport"
- "Parents 25th Wedding Anniv."
- "Freeport, Lucaya, Bahamas-Cruise Port"
- "Seamandrew's Port Lucaya Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lucaya
- Hotels in Lucaya
- Transportation in Lucaya
- Nightlife in Lucaya
- Restaurants in Lucaya
- Shopping in Lucaya
- Warnings and Dangers in Lucaya
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lucaya
- 7 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Lucaya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lucaya
Top 10 Pages
- Chicago Intro, 110 reviews, 135 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 111 reviews, 133 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 87 reviews, 112 photos, 5 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 82 reviews, 99 photos, 4 travelogues
- Melbourne Intro, 63 reviews, 64 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Indianapolis Intro, 42 reviews, 79 photos, 5 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 53 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 50 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bratislava Intro, 33 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
- Sydney Intro, 40 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues