"Central and Cosmopolitan" Geneva by Kiriel
Geneva Travel Guide: 1,077 reviews and 2,466 photos
Geneva is a fascinating city. Nestled among the hills, it has both a small town feel, and big city appeal. You see, although Geneva is quite a small city (with only 150,000 inhabitants or so), being the centre of the United Nations brings to it a fascinating mixture of cultures and people.
French is the official language of the area, but you are as likely to hear English as you walk the streets. The varied nationalities of the population here mean that the range of different cuisines in the restaurants is great, although it is quite expensive to eat here.
Geneva isn't seen as an exciting place, and for good reason. In a frustratingly typical European style, all the shops are closed on Sundays, and a fair few are closed at lunchtimes too. The best nightlife in Geneva, I am told, is in Lausanne, a town about 40 minutes drive North of Geneva!
Yet, in its own special way, Geneva has got life and vibrancy. The streets of the central town maybe deserted on a Sunday, but in the evenings, restaurants are open, and there are clubs to be found. A Sunday is still a great day to go into the city, as entry into all the museums is free for the day. If history is one of your interests, then there is certainly a lot to see!
But I think that the greatest plus to Geneva is its centrality. You can drive to Italy for lunch, Germany for dinner, and many people commute from France to work each day. To live in Geneva places Europe at your fingertips.
- Pros:Varied culture, quiet city, nearby Alps, lake and sights
- Cons:Expensive, quiet,
For sophisticated shopping for designer named watches, clothes and furnishings, then the old town is the way to go. (and... more travel advice
If you fly into Geneva, you get a free 90 minute transport ticket to get you to your destination. There is a ticket... more travel advice
Kiriel's Related Pages
Geneva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "diplomats, scientists and watch makers!"
- "Le songe d'une nuit d'été"
- "Geneva by Trip@ck"
- "An international crossroads"
- "Home of the America's Cup"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Geneva
- Hotels in Geneva
- Transportation in Geneva
- Nightlife in Geneva
- Restaurants in Geneva
- Shopping in Geneva
- Warnings and Dangers in Geneva
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Geneva
- 9 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Geneva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Geneva
- updated a Geneva Travel Page "Central and Cosmopolitan"
- Wrote a Review Free transport from the airport! about Free Public Transportation in Geneva Transportation
- Posted in Travel Switzerland Forum "Re: Vintage Clothing*"
- Commented on one of Tripack's Geneva travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Central and Cosmopolitan"
Photos in GenevaSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Geneva Intro, 9 reviews, 4 photos
- Stein am Rhein Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos
- Paris Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 3 reviews, 7 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ludlow Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- Ferney-Voltaire Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Saint-Pierre-d'Albigny 2 reviews, 7 photos
- Canberra Intro, 4 reviews, 4 photos
- Eindhoven Intro, 8 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dijon Intro, 2 reviews, 6 photos