"Liaolianxia and Ganshiling" Liaolianxia by mke1963
Liaolianxia Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 7 photos
Disappointed with having wasted our morning travelling up to Ganshiling (see separate review in 'Tourist Trap' section) we decided to make our own way into the forest. We stopped on the way back down to Sanya and used a dry river bed to scramble up into the undergrowth.
The forest is no longer a forest really, having been cleared of significant trees long ago, but the dense bush is still a good ecosystem, with occasional smaller trees remaining. A dense, luxuriant canopy is about 4 metres above the ground, with a very dense network of lianas and woody creepers underneath. Ferns and the occasional orchid live in the deep shade, and bamboos have taken over where gaps have been created in the canopy.
The steepness of the hillside made it difficult to explore for more than an hour, but we had a lot of fun looking for plants (many), birds (a few) and animals (none). It is worrying, though to see introduced flame trees (delonix regia) starting to spread in this area. They are often planted on the verge here when roads are reconstructed.
- Pros:Great walking and exploring
- Cons:The most expensive theme park we have found in China
- In a nutshell:Beautiful countryside
This links to a reasonable topographical map of the area. Ganshiling is on the road that runs to the top of the map, at... more travel advice
Our taxi driver was clearly embarassed by how we had been treated (actually we were mainly bemused)and called for the... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Liaolianxia Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Liaolianxia
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Liaolianxia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liaolianxia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos