"City of Eternal Marketing" Kunming by mke1963
Kunming Travel Guide: 607 reviews and 1,435 photos
Kunming is an attractive, pleasant city, and is the provincial capital of Yunnan. It has excellent air connections to the rest of China, and is the hub for most flights within Yunnan. Rail connections are less useful, although there are key major routes to Chengdu, Guiyang and Vietnam.
The city's modern and planned appearance is dictated by a fast-paced plan to modernise, and although many older boulevards and streets have disappeared under the bulldozers, there are a lot of old streets and buildings in many parts of the city.
The various guidebooks do not have much mention of Kunming, but there is a lot more to do and see than meets the eye. There are temples, pagodas, parks, some good museums, and good day trips from the city in all directions.
Kunming deserves more than just a day while waiting to transfer to Dali, Lijiang or Xishuangbanna. It is a cosmopolitan city, and a microcosm of China in one place.
The marketing slogan of "The City of Eternal Spring" is a bit contrived and forced upon you at every opportunity: it suggests a real insecurity about what the city really is all about. In fact, Kunming has been the Crossroads of Asia for a long time, and it is this aspect that creates the atmosphere, not the climate.
A review of the Stone Forest is included in the pages on Lufu/Shilin.
I have written up a trip through eastern Yunnan via Luoping and Puzhehei to Nijiao and back to Kunming. First stop on the way is Zhaokua.
- Pros:Modern, commercial city; plenty to see and do
- Cons:Difficult to get beyond the marketing hype to discover the real city
- In a nutshell:Worth a week of exploring
Unlike the bland sterility and indistinguishable style of thousands of Chinese 4-star hotels, the Kunming Hotel is a... more travel advice
The "Tourism Service" desk at the arrival level of Kunming Airport is worth visiting to experience how poor customer... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Kunming Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kunming - the Spring City in the Southwest"
- "Vigi in KUNMING - Sep2003"
- "Sharrie's Kunming Eternal Spring"
- "City of Eternal Spring"
- "Kunming - The Eternal Spring City"
- "Kunming - the spring city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kunming
- Hotels in Kunming
- Transportation in Kunming
- Nightlife in Kunming
- Restaurants in Kunming
- Shopping in Kunming
- Warnings and Dangers in Kunming
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kunming
- 5 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Kunming?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kunming
Photos in KunmingSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos