"Liuyuan" Liuyuan by mke1963
Liuyuan Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Liuyuan is perhaps one of China's best known passing points. Everyone knows it as the "railway station for Dunhuang", usually with a passed on recommendation to get straight on a bus bound for Dunhuang.
Indeed there is virtially nothing to encourage a stay in the town. It has no history as such, having developed simply as a railway town in 1966 when the Lanzhou - Urumuqi line reached town.
Spare a thought for the inhabitants of this town, as in April 2006 Liuyuan will lose its lifeline, when the railway spur to Dunhuang opens. Overnight, many businesses will lose 99% of their trade, leaving them with little to do. It is likely that the town will dry up and die, although it will remain an important railway marshalling yard, and there will be extra local trade while the work continues on the new alignment of the railway between Lanzhou and Urumuqi and the highway that is being built along the same alignment.
The desert in the Liuyuan area is particularly desolate, although it is not flat: it is a jet black colour and is very hilly, looking like giant black buble-wrap from a distance.
There are several hotels in the town centre of Liuyuan, including (seen in the station area) the Post Hotel and the... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Liuyuan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Liuyuan
- 3 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Liuyuan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Liuyuan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos