"Luoping" Luoxiong by mke1963
Luoxiong Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 5 photos
Luoping is the common name for Luoxiong, a town on the eastern fringes of Yunnan, way beyond the usual tourist circuits. In this part of the world, a foreign face creates a stir and many people claimed that I was the first "laowai" they had ever seen - an unlikely tale!
Luoping is in a wide flat plain, not far from the Duoyi River, and the area is rich in scenic attractions. It really is a beautiful area with plenty to see.
As is always, but always, the case when you get away from the maistream in China, finding out about these attractions can be a real struggle. The next gigantic step is finding out exactly where they are, and finally making arangements to see them. I had seen photographs of the area in a colour picture book of Yunnan, which, of course, didn't say it was Luoping. Fortunately, the husband of the assistant in the bookstore comes from this area, so the assistant told me where the photographs were taken. So started a four-day trip with a mad driver, a dubious car, and a 1:750,000 map of the province, supplemented by the hopeless local Yunnan road atlas.
It is a spectacular area, with big hills to the north, south and west - this area really looks more towards Guangxi and Guizhou than Yunnan.
The hills to the west are thickly forested and look like Switzerland, only without the yodelling.
Rape is a common crop here and the fields of bright yellow in among the green of the maize crops makes for spectacular views - a bit like the area around the Stone Forest nearer Kunming. The immediate area around Luoping is rich agricultural country, and the town is a market for a huge area. The central streets are filled with stalls and piles of vegetables.
A common secondary income here is from the sale of honey, and all along the roads, beekeepers have set up tables. The box hives sit a few metres away.
I could find out little about Luoping. Some locals said that it was a new town, but this seems unlikely, given its location in a strategic valley close to the entrance to the passes into southern and central Yunnan.
The town has no character architecturally, but I was only there overnight and there may be an older part of town.
Next town west of here towards Kunming is Datong, with Shidong further west still. South from here is Wuluohe and Gaoliang, on the way to Qiubei and Puzhehei.
- Pros:Busy, well located town for exploring eastern Yunnan
- Cons:Difficult to get information about the city - even there!
- In a nutshell:A nice piece of rural China
I was really just passing through Luoping, and didn't have time to explore the area. There seems to be a lot to do... more travel advice
Useful map of the local area. This map is about as good as it gets! more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Luoxiong Travel Guide
Explore the World
- Jerez de la Frontera
- Cape Canaveral Hotels
- American Samoa
- Serikin Hotels
- La Romana Hotels
- Cayo Icacos Hotels
- San Antonio Abad
- Velden am Wörthersee
- Carrickmines Hotels
- La Floresta Pearson Hotels
- Province of Bohol
- Parco Nazionale del Vesuvio
Badges & Stats in Luoxiong
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Luoxiong?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Luoxiong
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos