"The Pearl River Mediterranean?" Shekou by mke1963
Shekou Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 16 photos
Shekou is the far western end of the Shenzhen city area, a sprawl of hgh-rises and fast-moving highways that sits opposite Hong Kong.
Both Shenzhen and Shekou receive derisory reviews in the English-language guide-books, and this seems a bit unfair.
Both cities are much better than those reviews would suggest, and I was impressed.
Shekou faces Hong Kong across the bay, and is backed by green, forested hills. The central area has been landscaped, with plazas and squares in a Mediterranean style - a curious style for a port on the South China Sea. The effect is charming though, and the pavement cafe style attracts people all day long. Sadly, it also attracts large numbers of beggars, prostitutes and street-hawkers.The latter are irritatingly persistent and will even come into restaurants to pester you.
The streets and pavements of Shekou are clean, well built and - well - usable! Usable pavements are a bit of a luxury in China, so the ability to walk along pavements was a real novelty.
In the morning, these same pavements were being hosed down, and a huge army of gardeners were tending the plants and trees everywhere: it really is a very green city!
- Pros:Mediterranean style piazzas, clean, fun
- Cons:Persistent beggars and street traders
- In a nutshell:Sunny, leisurely laid-back city
The plaza in Shekou is rare in China. It is a real plaza - or piazza - filled with shops, cafes and restaurants. It is a... more travel advice
Gypsy is an Australian-owned restaurant near the bow of "the ship" moored on dry land at the southern end of Shekou's... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Shekou Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Pearl River Mediterranean?"
- "Shekou once my home ...now and before"
- "Everything here was moved to my Shenzhen Page"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shekou
- 4 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to Shekou?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shekou
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos