Urumqi Transportation Tips by mke1963 Top 5 Page for this destination
Urumqi Transportation: 8 reviews and 5 photos
As the CITS office in the Lonely Planet Guide is long gone, the best place to get your railway ticket is in the Railway Booking Office at the office alongside the Leiyuan Binguan at the far end of the street that is almost opposite the Holiday Inn.
Booking a railway ticket is just way below the dignity of the witless lady in the Holiday Inn business centre.
Getting on the train at Urumuqi
Urumuqi station is to the west of the city centre. As the main building is being rebuilt (the old one presumably being at least three years old) you now gather in a huge unheated barn. Each line is marked at the end by a board showing each train number. If you pay RMB5 at the little desk on the right hand wall, a porter in a red vest will help with your bags, and the porters get earlier access to the platform, so avoiding the worst rush when the gates open.
You have to walk down corridors, over bridges, along one platform and down into a subway before emerging at your train. Keep moving to stay within sight of your porter!
More Reviews (9)
mke1963's Related Pages
Urumqi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Urumqi - The furthest city from the sea"
- "Cold...very cold...but warm inside!"
- "visit xinjiang"
- "hollyjeanz's new Urumqi Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Urumqi
- Hotels in Urumqi
- Transportation in Urumqi
- Nightlife in Urumqi
- Restaurants in Urumqi
- Shopping in Urumqi
- Warnings and Dangers in Urumqi
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ocean Springs Hotels
- Ludlow Hotels
- New Buffalo
- Fort Saskatchewan Hotels
- Isla Dragonera Hotels
- Pulau Duyong Besar
Badges & Stats in Urumqi
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Urumqi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urumqi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos