"Cold...very cold...but warm inside!" Top 5 Page for this destination Urumqi by mke1963
Urumqi Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 348 photos
Urumqi - or Wulumuqi as it said on the side of the train to Lanzhou - is very cold in winter. It is the furthest place (in Asia? the world?) from the sea, and the geographical centre of Asia is just 50 km to the south.
I arrived on the slightly down-at-heel China Xinjiang Airlines, now part of China Southern, and left on the fabulous T198 train to Lanzhou.
Many of China's ethnic minorities can be seen in Urumuqi, especially in the Erdaqiao market and the streets around it.
However, in ALL the Chinese guidebooks be prepared for constant and wearying messages about how long Xinjiang has been Chinese: to the casual observer it seems paranoid behaviour.
The hardy and frigid climate make the people - Han, Uighur, Kazakh, Tajik, whatever - very friendly and everyone was happy to chat to complete strangers in the frosty streets.
The best time to visit is said to be autumn, from September to late October. Winter too cold, spring too windy, summer too hot.
- Pros:Friendly people; ethnic melting pot; frontier spirit
- Cons:Climate is usually too hot or too cold
- In a nutshell:As far as it gets from the beach
China has a very, very bad habit of closing museums for rebuilding or refurbishment, and not telling anyone. Even the... more travel advice
It sounds a no-brainer, but it is essential to be very careful in Urumqi. The temperatures get very, very low (it was... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Urumqi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Urumqi - The furthest city from the sea"
- "Cold...very cold...but warm inside!"
- "visit xinjiang"
- "hollyjeanz's new Urumqi Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Urumqi
- Hotels in Urumqi
- Transportation in Urumqi
- Nightlife in Urumqi
- Restaurants in Urumqi
- Shopping in Urumqi
- Warnings and Dangers in Urumqi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Urumqi
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Urumqi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Urumqi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos