"Shifting cities" Top 5 Page for this destination Xi'an by mke1963
Xi'an Travel Guide: 1,112 reviews and 3,065 photos
Like Alexandria, Baghdad or Rome, Xia'an is a city whose future is bound up inexorably in its past. It anchored the eastern end of the Silk Road, the earliest thread of global trade.
Yet the current city is a relatively modern incarnation of the ancient cities that have occupied this strategic plain where the Wei and Yellow Rivers cut through big mountains. Xi'an has picked up the legacy and the mantle of these earlier, grander cities of Xinyang and the two cities of Chang'an. Of those earlier cities little remains now. Around Xinyang and the Han Chang'an huge, blunted crags and pits of earthen walls and ramparts give only a little clue to the once sumptuous palaces, fortified walls and bustling markets that now echo in the fields of rice and wheat. The second, Sui and Tang, Chang'an was now lies beneath your feet in the concrete and stone of modern-day Xia'an, the history of a million inhabitants in the once grandest city on the planet vanished for ever.
Five hundred years after that Chang'an was dismantled and abandoned, Xi'an grew into a Ming city. Those walls you see now are the smallest of those that have enclosed the people and rulers in this area.
For Xi'an, the Terracotta Warriors are not the most ancient of the Chinese civilisations splendours, but merely one almost recent chapter.
Look further in Xi'an. Look to the north and west for the elusive remains of those ancient cities that gave Xi'an and much of northern China, the chance to be a great civilisation.
- Pros:A chronology of history
- Cons:The authorities do not make it easy to find the older civilisations!
- In a nutshell:History of the world in one county
The entrance to the final courtyard is through the Phoenix Pavilion, a hall-cum-gateway with beautiful details and... more travel advice
(continued from Part 1) In the absence of useful official guidance, the following may be helpful: Early Zhou oracle... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Xi'an Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The echo of ancient"
- "Xian "Peaceful western part of China""
- "Shifting cities"
- "Beautiful Xi'an"
- "Xian - our stopover to see the Terracotta Army"
- "Qing Ming @Xi'an"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Xi'an
- Hotels in Xi'an
- Transportation in Xi'an
- Nightlife in Xi'an
- Restaurants in Xi'an
- Shopping in Xi'an
- Warnings and Dangers in Xi'an
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Xi'an
- 22 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Xi'an?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Xi'an
Photos in Xi'anSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos