"Anxi" Yuanquan by mke1963
Yuanquan Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 0 photos
It all gets very confused in this part of Gansu.
The county is called Anxi.......and as is common in China, the county town uses the same name.
In fact, Anxi (or Anxi County) is technically called Yuanquan (or occasionally Anxiyuanquan) and also Xincheng (New Town).
If you are coming to see the historic Anxi, where the northern and southern Silk Routes diverge, you need to go to the now ruined and very beautiful place called Suoyang which is also not on the geographic databases but lies east of the small town of Tashi, about 30km south. To add to the name debate, Tashi is also known locally as Suoyangxiang (because it is the chief administrative town of Suoyang Township) while the fortress at Suoyang is also called Guazhou.
Got it? Good.
Now Guazhou is in the databases but is located in the wrong place, north of Tashi.
And finally, to confuse matters just that little bit more, on 1st August 2006, Anxi County is to be renamed Guazhou, and so the town of Anxi....errrr......Yuanquan is to be called Guazhou.
Looking for the ancient city of Anxi aka Guazhou and the Yulin Grottos? Information is under Tashi.
The new railway line from Yumen and Jiayuguan to Dunhuang passes through Anxi and there is a station. Passenger services... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Yuanquan Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Yuanquan
- 2 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to Yuanquan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yuanquan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos