"A quiet wilderness" Mena by mke1963
Mena Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 18 photos
We weren't able to spend long in western Arkansas, and always planned to return to the area to explore more. It is that kind of country: pretty, varied, comfortable even.
It is well away from modern America, and you got a feel for a very strong local pride in the peaceful valleys, the tough little towns and the vast stretches of forest in this area.
Mena doesn't want to sell itself or go all out to attract visitors. Visitors come, they go. Mena gets on with its honest business.
In December 2000, a fierce ice storm did a lot of damage to the forests in central and western Arkansas. Although four years is likley to have healed the many scars, the damage to the forests was obvious when we visited in March 2002. But the broken limbs of trees and the jagged fragments of shattered wood seemed to add to the unusual landscapes.
Wherever we went, even on well-marked trails and in parks, we were alone, unbothered by other human activity. The solitude is refreshing when you live in Houston (at the time)!
- Pros:It's a long way from big cities
- Cons:It's a long way from anywhere
- In a nutshell:America at its most peaceful best
mke1963's Related Pages
Mena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Mena Travel Page"
- "A quiet wilderness"
- "Mena, Polk County, Arkansas"
- "Mena's infamous airport"
- "Mena, Arkansas"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mena
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Mena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mena
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos