"Diamonds are a child's best friend" Crater of Diamonds State Park by mke1963

The Crater of Diamonds State Park, 900 hectares of forest and one big open field full of diamonds is the only diamond 'mine' open to the public for digging.
You just pays your money, digs your hole, and keeps your diamonds!
Well, tell that to the kids and you have a ready made day of activity for the kids and a day of relaxation in the sun for parents.
You get dirty, covered in mud and sand, and you don't get rich. But on average, two diamonds are discovered every day in the olive-green sands.
National Geographic magazine had a great article about the park in April (I think) 2002, just after we had been there.
The GORP web-site has an excellent history and great tips for avid diamond hunters at http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ar/parks/crater.htm

Just go, dig and have fun.

• Pros:A lot of fun
  • Cons:Even more dirt
  • In a nutshell:The chance to find large diamonds!
  • Last visit to Crater of Diamonds State Park: Mar 2002
  • Intro Written Jan 30, 2004

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 4:11 PM

I did not know of this palce. Thank you for sharing.

• thecatsmeow's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2005 at 8:00 PM

This is an interesting area indeed. I was able to go when my uncle was living in Mufreesboro. No diamonds for us though. =^oo^=

• Jonathan_C's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 5:33 AM

I can't believe someone else has been to Crater of Diamonds. Our kids loved digging in the dirt but we never struck it rich. The rock shops outside the park are fantastic though!

mke1963

“Veni, vidi, VT”

Badges & Stats in Crater of Diamonds State Park

Have you been to Crater of Diamonds State Park?