"Tilbury" Tilbury Fort by mke1963
Tilbury Fort Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 15 photos
It's probably not the most glamorous of towns, but the area around Tilbury to the east of London is fascinating. Not only is there eclectic architecture - at the now disused London Cruise Terminal and at the old Bata Estate in nearby East Tilbury - but history, ecology, birdlife and the wonderful lower reaches of the tidal River Thames just before it widens out into an estuary.
There is an expectation that this part of the world is flat and uninteresting, but the ground rises up quickly on both sides of the river, leaving Tilbury and Gravesend on the tidal plains, but theire hinterlands and suburbs climbing up steep slopes.
Tilbury itself is a fairly modern industrial town but the surroundings are rich in history, and it is here that Queen Elizabeth I rallied her troops in 1588 as rumours spread that a huge Spanish fleet was on its way to invade. Possibly a thousand years before, the Tilbury - Gravesend ferry took travellers across the river, and that ferry exists today, operating off the eastern end of the giant cruise ship wharf.
Tilbury can be reached by railway, but note that the roads around the area don't have pavements and are heavily used by big trucks; the distances between the sites make walking a less attractive option in the colder, wetter months and I am not even sure if the ferry has any public transport connection on the north shore. Sadly, a car is necessary to visit the area effectively.
mke1963's Related Pages
Tilbury Fort Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tilbury Fort - Londons Defense on the River Thames"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tilbury Fort
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Tilbury Fort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tilbury Fort
Photos in Tilbury FortSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos