"Welney" Welney by mke1963
Welney Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
The little village of Welney lies right at the western edge of Norfolk and has more in common with the villages and towns to the west - in Cambridgeshire.
The village is low-lying - right at sea-level - and lies alongside the One Hundred Foot Washes, Britain's largest floodwater storage area.
The village is well-described in an excellent website, and a short visit suggested that it is a friendly, welcoming place. The website describes how the cillage was a centre for ice-skatiing in the days before Britain had just mild, damp winters with little chance of ice.
Life in the Fens is well described in the Wisbech Museum, including photographs of the punt guns that were seemingly used locally to hunt wildfowl. Hunting of birds is a lot less common these days, especially as the one of the biggest Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust reserves has been established just north-east of Welney in the Hundred Foot Washes.
Very sadly, I read on the website that the local shop and post office are to close in mid-June 2007, yet another loss of rural amenities in England. It is, I suppose, a sign of the times but it just feels that something is going badly wrong when villages of more than 500 people cannot sustain a shop. If local services (forget about a bus, it runs just once a week - to Downham Market's Friday market) disappear, one has to wonder about the viability of villages (even quite large ones): it becomes difficult for older people to live in places without public transport and local shopping, while there are fewer opportunities for young people. Who gets left? At the entrance to the village, alongside the river is the abandoned shell of the Three Tuns pub.
Just to the east of the village is the River Delph, alongside the Old Bedford River. Just to the north is one of the... more travel advice
To the north-east of Welney, in the Ouse Washes, is the Welney Wildfowl and Wetlands Centre: it's a centre owned by the... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Welney Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Welney
- 5 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Welney?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Welney
Photos in WelneySee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos