"Beaucaire" Beaucaire by mke1963
Beaucaire Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 0 photos
Beaucaire was formerly a port on the Upper Baise River, with its small wharf used for transshipping grain and in particular Armagnac to bergaes for onward transport to Libourne and Brodeaux on the Garonne river.
As with many local villages, the phylloxera virus and then the First World War reduced local farm output and as farming declined so local industries and infrastructure suffered. The River Baise, long established as a canal, was replaced by the local railway (now itself closed) and the locks fell into disuse. The canal upstream of Valence-sur-Baise returned to being a river only, with no more mills, locks or wharfs. At beaucaire, only the mossy wharf remains.
Today, Beaucaire is a small, picturesque hamlet - and I have absolutely no photos of the village simply because I always come here to kayak down the river to Valence.....river water and cameras do not mix well!
mke1963's Related Pages
Beaucaire Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Beaucaire
- 1 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Beaucaire?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beaucaire
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos