"Dak Dam" Phumi Dak Dam by mke1963
Phumi Dak Dam Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 13 photos
High up on the Mondolkiri plateau is the beautiful little village called Dak Dam, set in a small notch in the rolling hills, protected from the howling winds that scour these hills throughout the dry season from the north-east.
The village is split into three, the boundary of each is a small stream. The first village is Pu Chhob, then past the lake is Pu Antreng and the third, on the eastern slope is Pu Ralech. This village of 500 people is almost entirely Bunong, although ten or so Khmer families have moved in to the village in recent years. The villages sit at the head of a wide forested valley, which stretches its green fingers into the village. Villagers will be happy to show you the upper stretches of this mixed deciduous and evergreen forest. Ask at the Commune Council Office (opposite the school) or the Electoral Commission Office (the big building nearer the little bridge) to see if they can find an interpreter.
Dak Dam was moved here in the 1970s from its old location, just 200m from the Vietnamese border to the southeast of here. The main graded road to Dak Dam from Sen Monorem continues to the border. The old Dak Dam was abandoned after being hit by bombs – it lay right next to a small French airstrip.
The new Dak Dam was also abandoned during the Pol Pot regime when the villagers were forcibly evacuated to the Koh Nyek area of northern Mondolkiri, returning to their village in 1979.
Today the village is extremely poor, but robust. They practice swidden agriculture but in a careful manner that doesn’t push into the forest. In the village they raise pigs and chickens for sale, and each family has a small plot where they grow vegetables and there are fruit trees all around.
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE DANGER OF UNEXPLODED WEAPONS. THERE IS A VERY REAL RISK TO YOUR LIFE IN THIS AREA!! This area... more travel advice
In a traditional Bunong house in Pu Ralech, is a handicraft centre funded by Refugees International. Here, women of the... more travel advice
mke1963's Related Pages
Phumi Dak Dam Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Phumi Dak Dam
- Hotels in Phumi Dak Dam
- Restaurants in Phumi Dak Dam
- Warnings and Dangers in Phumi Dak Dam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Phumi Dak Dam
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (118)
Have you been to Phumi Dak Dam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Phumi Dak Dam
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Beijing Intro, 153 reviews, 126 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zhangjiajie Intro, 29 reviews, 107 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Harbin Intro, 49 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seoul Intro, 57 reviews, 35 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lanzhou Intro, 27 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jiayuguan Intro, 36 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chengdu Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos
- Graaff-Reinet Intro, 25 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dunhuang Intro, 21 reviews, 43 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Suwon Intro, 24 reviews, 37 photos