"Here's the skinny...." Grand Rapids by just4funds

Grand Rapids Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 24 photos

About the city...

Grand Rapids is Michigan's second largest city, with a population of just over 200,000. The area is home to many companies, including the Big 3. (I'm not talking cars here, but rather office furniture. Steelcase, Haworth and Herman-Miller are all headquartered within 35 minutes of downtown Grand Rapids.) In the early years, Grand Rapids was known for the lumber and furniture industries.

Situated on the banks of the Grand River less than 45 minutes from the Lake Michigan shore, Grand Rapids enjoys moderate weather. The big lake helps keep the area cool in the summer, as well as warm in the winter, however the downfall is that in the early winter it also becomes proficient at producing large amounts of snow.

Grand Rapids is also centrally located, with Chicago, Detroit and the splendor of Northern Michigan all within 3 hours by car.

About the weather....

SEE THE WEATHERBALL
For the meteorologically challenged person who can't tell the local weather by looking at the sky, or going outside, a local TV station has given new life to the Weatherball. The Weatherball previously sat proudly atop the Mackay Tower in downtown Grand Rapids until it was discovered that the weight, etc. was putting too much stress on the building and was taken down in 1987. The parts were purchased from a salvage yard and after being refurbished and re-fitted with neon tubes the weatherball was brought back to life in early 2003.

How do you read the weatherball?
Weatherball RED, warmer ahead
Weatherball BLUE, cooler in view
Weatherball GREEN, no change foreseen
Colors blinking bright, rain or snow in sight.

Here's the current weather where I live:
GRAND RAPIDS MI

• Pros:This one is juuuust right!
  • Cons:Too big for some, too little for others.
  • In a nutshell:Big town aspirations, little town feel.
  • Intro Updated Mar 18, 2004

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2008 at 4:21 PM

I really enjoyed my trip around your Grand Rapids page but I have a question for you. Are covered bridges of cultural significance or just a quaint idea unique to the USA? Thank you. Carole.

• AmazingAdventures's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 8:30 PM

Hiya! Yep, I've been to Grand Haven. We had 60+ people gather for a family reunion at Khardomah Lodge 10 yrs ago. My grandfather used to own property at Spring Lake (how far is that from GH?) and had family weekends there when I lived in MI in the 60's!

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2005 at 4:10 PM

Hi Jim. Just spent a day in Grand Rapids and enjoyed it very much! Hotter that day than in our home, Georgia. We still say "pop" but prefer sweeted tea, now. Marcia

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2005 at 2:15 PM

Howdy!! daVinci's Horse at Frederik Meijer Gardens looks absolutely awsome. Great page as always!!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2004 at 8:24 AM

Nice page, beautiful pictures and interesting info. I didn't know about "pop" :-)

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2004 at 1:13 PM

A nice page, and great info and pics. 'Pop' was also a word used in my area for fizzy drinks.

• Jan 9, 2004 at 2:08 PM

A friend of mine from Toronto led me to your site...I totally agree with your comments about Fallasburg Park (oh, and the snow, too!) From a Native Grand Rapidian...

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2004 at 4:27 PM

Grand Rapids was my mother-in-laws hometown-my husband was brought up in Warren. Yea, I had to learn about pop, sacks and party stores from him!

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2004 at 10:50 AM

These are great pictures and travel logs Jim! Keep taking the pictures.

• american_tourister's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2003 at 2:16 AM

Great page Jim. More!

just4funds

“I'm addicted. Or is that conflicted?”

Badges & Stats in Grand Rapids

Have you been to Grand Rapids?

Latest Activity in Grand Rapids