"Here's the skinny...." Grand Rapids by just4funds
Grand Rapids Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 24 photos
Grand Rapids is Michigan's second largest city, with a population of just over 200,000. The area is home to many companies, including the Big 3. (I'm not talking cars here, but rather office furniture. Steelcase, Haworth and Herman-Miller are all headquartered within 35 minutes of downtown Grand Rapids.) In the early years, Grand Rapids was known for the lumber and furniture industries.
Situated on the banks of the Grand River less than 45 minutes from the Lake Michigan shore, Grand Rapids enjoys moderate weather. The big lake helps keep the area cool in the summer, as well as warm in the winter, however the downfall is that in the early winter it also becomes proficient at producing large amounts of snow.
Grand Rapids is also centrally located, with Chicago, Detroit and the splendor of Northern Michigan all within 3 hours by car.
SEE THE WEATHERBALL
For the meteorologically challenged person who can't tell the local weather by looking at the sky, or going outside, a local TV station has given new life to the Weatherball. The Weatherball previously sat proudly atop the Mackay Tower in downtown Grand Rapids until it was discovered that the weight, etc. was putting too much stress on the building and was taken down in 1987. The parts were purchased from a salvage yard and after being refurbished and re-fitted with neon tubes the weatherball was brought back to life in early 2003.
How do you read the weatherball?
Weatherball RED, warmer ahead
Weatherball BLUE, cooler in view
Weatherball GREEN, no change foreseen
Colors blinking bright, rain or snow in sight.
Here's the current weather where I live:
GRAND RAPIDS MI
- Pros:This one is juuuust right!
- Cons:Too big for some, too little for others.
- In a nutshell:Big town aspirations, little town feel.
Oh, the fun in the fall..... Celebration (as the locals refer to it) is held the weekend FOLLOWING Labor Day. It... more travel advice
Sunbelters proclaim loudly that Michigan and "The North" just plain sux during the colder months. Well, OK, sort of.... more travel advice
just4funds' Related Pages
Grand Rapids Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Here's the skinny...."
- "Happening Grand Rapids"
- "Spent a week in Grand Rapids on a business trip."
- "Grand Rapids, Michigan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grand Rapids
- Hotels in Grand Rapids
- Transportation in Grand Rapids
- Restaurants in Grand Rapids
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grand Rapids
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Grand Rapids?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grand Rapids
Photos in Grand RapidsSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Grand Rapids Intro, 14 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- San Diego Intro, 7 reviews, 21 photos, 2 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 5 reviews, 22 photos, 4 travelogues
- Northport Intro, 7 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tucson Intro, 4 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Maryville Intro, 10 reviews
- Byron Center Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- New Orleans Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Leland Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos
- Vanderbilt Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos