Hoogeveen Favorite Tips by Jerelis
Hoogeveen Favorites: 10 reviews and 12 photos
Favorite thing: Let’s make no secret of it. We both like a nice cold glass of beer. Being at our travel pace is always a challenge to find a beer we like, which reflects our taste of having a beer. At Hoogeveen (and this probably counts for our entire home country) it was rather difficult. We found out that there are a few local beers, only known in the particular area. But anyway nothing really special, which was a bit of a disappointment. Therefore we buy the same beer as we would drink back home, Grolsch! LOL
Grolsch Brewery (Grolsche Bierbrouwerij) is a Dutch brewery founded in 1615 by Willem Neerfeldt in Groenlo (Grolle). The beer from Groenlo gradually became better known in the surroundings of Groenlo. Through the years the demand for Grolsch beer shifted from a local to national and eventually international level. It is a bit bitter and has a pale colour. You can taste the hop flavour, and has a alcohol content of 5 percent. You should try it!
Favorite thing: The official insignia of the city has a nice history. It exists out of a small part of peat covered by straw. On both sides a beehive and several bees.
The beehive origins out of the period that the inhabitants of Hoogeveen digged out the peat. Whenever the ground was digged out they cultivated it by letting buckwheat growing on it. This, of course, contains a lot of nectar, which attracted the bees. At that time the buckwheat and peat was the main industry in Hoogeveen.
For more information on the insignia have a look at the website of the International Civic Heraldry.
The flag of the city.
Favorite thing: The flag of Hoogeveen exists of two horizontal parts of equal measures. The upper part of the flag is made of "Nassau blue" and the bottom part of "Opaque white". The flag has been determined by the municipality Council in 1958, and in that year also registered in the book of the Hoge Raad van Adel.
The flag does exist much longer and is being officially used since 1925 by the city of Hoogeveen. At that time the city was offered this flag by the locals because of the fact that the city excisted 300 years.
The colours do have a meaning. The blue colour stands for the heath that is fluorescensing and the white colour stands for the water that is mirrors in the sun.
All the information is present
Favorite thing: Visitors can go to the different VVV Tourist Information Centers for information about the region and the entire Netherlands. Hoogeveen has its own center.
You can go to the VVV office for:
* Leaflets about the region, cities and villages;
* City- and villagewalks;
* Bicycle routes;
* Events list;
* Information guides from the bathing resorts in the area;
* Tourist informations guides from all the provinces in the Netherlands with all touristic information, accommodation, events and restaurants:
* Entrance tickets for several museums, et cetera in the area;
* Bus tickets.
* Souvenirs and Gifts:
* They make reservations for hotel accommodation throughout the Netherlands, bungalows, apartements and holiday cottages, special accommodation offers in the Netherlands, daytrips for groups;
* tickets for several attractions in the Netherlands (for example Keukenhof, Six Flags, Dolfinarium).
Fondest memory: Opening hours:
Monday - Thursday: 09:30u ? 18:00u
Friday: 09:30u - 21:00u
Saturday: 09:30u - 17:00u
Postbus 136, 7900 AC Hoogeveen
7902 EA Hoogeveen
Near the theater De Tamboer
115th birthday in 2005.
Favorite thing: Hendrikje "Henny" van Andel-Schipper (born June 29, 1890) is the oldest person ever in the Netherlands, and since May 2004 is the oldest recognized person in the world. She lives in Hoogeveen.
Fondest memory: She became the oldest recognized woman in Europe on the death of Maria Teresa Fumarola Ligorio in May 2003, and the oldest recognized person in Europe on the death of Joan Riudavets in March 2004.
The death of Charlotte Benkner in early May 2004 left her second-oldest recognized in the world behind Ramona Trinidad Iglesias-Jordan, whose death later that month left her apparently the world's oldest. It was the first time since the 1980s that no one had been recognized as over 114.
The entrance sign of the city.
Favorite thing: Still under construction ...
More Reviews (85)
- See All Dining industrial style.
- See All Family Flokstra Farm - Small monument.
- See All Steenberger Park – Park Opera Hoogeveen.
- See All Some more dancing, singing and fun!
- See All Ice skating - Skating rink in the city...
- See All Wings & Wheels - Part 3.
Jerelis' Related Pages
Hoogeveen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Our hometown!"
- "Dude....there is nothing here!"
- "National Park Dwingelderveld"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hoogeveen
- Hotels in Hoogeveen
- Transportation in Hoogeveen
- Nightlife in Hoogeveen
- Restaurants in Hoogeveen
- Shopping in Hoogeveen
- Warnings and Dangers in Hoogeveen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hoogeveen
- 91 Reviews
- 139 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Hoogeveen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hoogeveen
- Posted in Travel Barranquilla Forum "Re: safety in the north"
- Wrote a Review Dining industrial style. in Hoogeveen Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Steenberger Park – Park Opera Hoogeveen."
- Commented on one of Jerelis's Hoogeveen travel pages
- Uploaded a Video to Hoogeveen
- updated a Hoogeveen Travel Page "Our hometown!"
Photos in HoogeveenSee All Photos (139)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hoogeveen Intro, 91 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 57 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hinterstoder Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue