"A typical Orthodox Calvinist village." Staphorst by Jerelis
Staphorst Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 82 photos
The villages of Staphorst and its southern neighbour Rouveen came into existence as in the 13th century monks started to bring the bogs and swamps into culture. It is very characteristic that all the farms were built along the long road through the bog area.
In the Netherlands the village of Staphorst does have quite a name. It is still the largest Orthodox Calvinist village of our country and has one of the highest church attendancy rates of the Netherlands. A fine example of this fact is the main church of Staphorst, that can seat about 2300 people. In 1971, Staphorst became world news due to an outbreak of polio, because many of the residents remained unvaccinated for religious reasons – the only such area in Europe. Still it is very interesting to visit the village. Enjoy the typical Staphorster farmhouses which are traditional Low Saxon type houses. They have green doors and window shutter and most of these farms existing now were built between 1850 and 1910.
We guess it's the same for everybody around the world. We do live in The Netherlands and we must be honest that we have seen more churches, nature, villages, museums and other beautiful spots abroad than in our own country. Lately we have re-discovered our own beautiful little country! Enjoy our travel experiences in The Netherlands!
Do you want to see birds of prey flying in the air and between the tree tops? Or do you want to get face to face with a... more travel advice
The Boswachterij Staphorst is located near the very small village of IJhorst, which is located near Meppel. IJhorst is a... more travel advice
Jerelis' Related Pages
Staphorst Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STAPHORST - folklore and religion"
- "Take a walk down the typical Holland"
- "A typical Orthodox Calvinist village."
- "Staphorst - Found Myself in a Strange Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Staphorst
- Hotels in Staphorst
- Transportation in Staphorst
- Shopping in Staphorst
- Warnings and Dangers in Staphorst
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Staphorst
- 10 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Staphorst?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Staphorst
- Posted in Travel Washington D.C. Forum "Re: Travel from Washington DC to..."
- Wrote a Review Boswachterij Staphorst - Nature at its best. in Staphorst Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Boswachterij Staphorst - Nature at its best."
- created a Staphorst Travel Page "A typical Orthodox Calvinist village."
Photos in StaphorstSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 57 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hinterstoder Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue