"Sun, sea and sheep!" Top 5 Page for this destination Texel by Jerelis
Texel Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 495 photos
The Dutch Wadden Sea is a shallow, semi-enclosed part of the North Sea, mainly consisting of tidal mud flats, sand flats, sea gullies and salt marshes; the area is bordered by a series of dune barrier islands, the "wadden islands". The Wadden Sea stretches along the North Sea coast from Den Helder (NL) up to Esbjerg (DK) and is the largest estuarine area in Europe. Most of the sea and the uninhabited islands are State Nature Reserve.
The entire area is of international importance being a nursery of marine life, a resting, moulting and feeding area for several millions of migratory birds, and a habitat for thousands of birds, seals and many other species. The area has been selected for European protection as part of the Natura 2000 Network. The region, especially the wadden islands (and therefore Texel), is also a key recreational area for the Netherlands and Germany.
Sun, sea and sheep. A lot of sheep! The picture above we made at Texel, the largest Dutch island. But once we were on Texel we found out that it proves to be full of beautiful sights, varied landscapes, villages and attractions.
We guess it's the same for everybody around the world. We do live in The Netherlands and we must be honest that we have seen more churches, nature, villages, museums and other beautiful spots abroad than in our own country. Lately we have re-discovered our own beautiful little country! Enjoy our travel experiences in The Netherlands!
- Pros:Ability to have your car present.
Like I said, it was quite a surprise that we actually hiked our way around in the Slufter, we had no idea. So, this... more travel advice
The best known nature area on Texel is the Slufter, situated between the Muy and the Eierland Dunes. It is a large salt... more travel advice
- See All Hiking - A real paradise!
- See All Travelling with a little kid.
- See All Do drink enough!!!
- See All Folklore dancing
Jerelis' Related Pages
Texel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Texel, where the wind always blows."
- "Sun, sea and sheep!"
- "Texel, seven villages and more …."
- "WELCOME TO MY TEXEL PAGE ......:-)"
- "Sheep, shrimp, seagulls, shores, sea, and scenery"
- "Texel : the nature and bike lovers paradise!"
- "Holland in miniature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Texel
- Hotels in Texel
- Transportation in Texel
- Nightlife in Texel
- Restaurants in Texel
- Shopping in Texel
- Warnings and Dangers in Texel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Texel
- 39 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Texel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Texel
Photos in TexelSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hoogeveen Intro, 91 reviews, 139 photos, 2 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 57 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hinterstoder Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue