"Medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece." Top 5 Page for this destination Kerkyra by Jerelis
Kerkyra Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 853 photos
The narrow stone-paved streets with tall buildings, frequent archways, often hidden by the clothes that have been hung out to dry, picturesque squares, churches with elegant bell towers and mansions with elaborate balconies and hanging lanterns create a medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece.
"The architecture of the town is Venetian; the houses above the old port are built up elegantly into slim tiers with narrow alleys and colonnades running between them; red, yellow, pink, umber a jumble of pastel shades which the moonlight transforms into a dazzling white city built for a wedding cake."
We have visited quite some Greek islands over the years, but maybe there is nothing like the island of Corfu and especially Kerkyra (city of Corfu). Kerkyra is Greece, and yet it is a culture unto itself. Shaped by successive waves of foreign invasions, Kerkyra retains a cosmopolian European feel. Teams play cricket on the Spianada (Esplanade), young couples twine hands over a cup of latte along the distinctly French Liston and the centuries old Venetian fortress flanks the town. Time to explore it!
We can honestly state that the best way to explore Kerkyra is by foot and the second best way is also by foot! Besides giving you the opportunity to roam the narrow streets and the cosy squares, it is the quickest way too. If you really want to, you can cross the city in approximately half a hour. Remember that sometimes it might be quicker (and nicer!) to take a few short-cuts into picturesque alleys instead of following the masses of tourists.
Most people try to rush Kerkyra on a budget so they end up missing some of the highlights in a whirlwind. The key to seeing Kerkyra properly is a game plan, you must know what you want to see before setting out. Do read our pages, hope you enjoy them and can gain a game plan for yourselves!
Don't forget to visit our Corfu Island site here at VT!
The island of Corfu in the northwestern corner of Greece is the greenest. With more rainfall than any other island there is a variety and abundance of plant life that makes this Ionian island in combination with its charming architecture and hospitable people a great place to visit.
The ancient town of Corfu, Kerkyra, was established around the 8th century BC. Because of its dependence of its... more travel advice
We have visited quite some Greek islands over the years, but maybe there is nothing like the island of Corfu and... more travel advice
- See All Talk to someone who knows!
- Travel light!
- See All Where the locals have their lunch.
- See All Old Fortress - List of important...
- See All Kanóni - Pensinsula connected to a small...
Jerelis' Related Pages
Kerkyra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece."
- "Emerald Island"
- "Two fortresses protect Kerkyra"
- "Kerkyra(Corfu Town)"
- "Corfu in a box"
- "Corfu Town Photos"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kerkyra
- Hotels in Kerkyra
- Transportation in Kerkyra
- Nightlife in Kerkyra
- Restaurants in Kerkyra
- Shopping in Kerkyra
- Warnings and Dangers in Kerkyra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kerkyra
- 41 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Kerkyra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kerkyra
- Posted in Travel Moldova Forum "Re: Things you can only do in..."
- Commented on one of JLBG's Kerkyra travel pages
- updated a Kerkyra Travel Page "Medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece."
- Wrote a Review Talk to someone who knows! in Kerkyra Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old Fortress - List of important monuments."
Photos in KerkyraSee All Photos (82)
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 57 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pula Intro, 39 reviews, 121 photos