"Medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece." Top 5 Page for this destination Kerkyra by Jerelis

Kerkyra Travel Guide: 380 reviews and 853 photos

Narrow stone-paved streets

The narrow stone-paved streets with tall buildings, frequent archways, often hidden by the clothes that have been hung out to dry, picturesque squares, churches with elegant bell towers and mansions with elaborate balconies and hanging lanterns create a medieval atmosphere which is unique in Greece.

"The architecture of the town is Venetian; the houses above the old port are built up elegantly into slim tiers with narrow alleys and colonnades running between them; red, yellow, pink, umber ­ a jumble of pastel shades which the moonlight transforms into a dazzling white city built for a wedding cake."

[Lawrence Durrel]

Kerkyra is Greece, yet it is a culture unto itself

We have visited quite some Greek islands over the years, but maybe there is nothing like the island of Corfu and especially Kerkyra (city of Corfu). Kerkyra is Greece, and yet it is a culture unto itself. Shaped by successive waves of foreign invasions, Kerkyra retains a cosmopolian European feel. Teams play cricket on the Spianada (Esplanade), young couples twine hands over a cup of latte along the distinctly French Liston and the centuries old Venetian fortress flanks the town. Time to explore it!

We can honestly state that the best way to explore Kerkyra is by foot and the second best way is also by foot! Besides giving you the opportunity to roam the narrow streets and the cosy squares, it is the quickest way too. If you really want to, you can cross the city in approximately half a hour. Remember that sometimes it might be quicker (and nicer!) to take a few short-cuts into picturesque alleys instead of following the masses of tourists.

Most people try to rush Kerkyra on a budget so they end up missing some of the highlights in a whirlwind. The key to seeing Kerkyra properly is a game plan, you must know what you want to see before setting out. Do read our pages, hope you enjoy them and can gain a game plan for yourselves!

The island of Corfu

Don't forget to visit our Corfu Island site here at VT!

The island of Corfu in the northwestern corner of Greece is the greenest. With more rainfall than any other island there is a variety and abundance of plant life that makes this Ionian island in combination with its charming architecture and hospitable people a great place to visit.

• Last visit to Kerkyra: Jun 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 30, 2007

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Thanks for a lovely page, this is what makes armchair travel so great ;-)

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2009 at 2:39 AM

this is a great page. I liked Kerkyra in your way. Best wishes from Istanbul.Bora

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Excellent page, very thorough! Your page shows me that I have missed a lot of places of interest. Next time ! You have superb pictures ! It is great that you were there for a celebration with the President!

• antonela's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2008 at 11:40 AM

Thank you for including South African Wines in your pages. I hope you will be able to come and do some more tasting here. I wish you the best of luck and lots of happiness for your future.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM

Thanks for your good page, Jeroen! The Old Fortress is really a must see~!

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2007 at 2:12 AM

you are really found of islands!a specialist and connaisseur!thks for visiting crete with me!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Lots of interesting information about the history of Kerkyra and your wanderings around the area! It looks like a beautiful little spot, just one more place I would love to visit in Europe.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Thanks for visiting my Sydney page! Excellent tips here on one of my favourite places in the world! My first ever foreign trip was to Corfu and I've loved it ever since! I also visited Mouse Island - and watched as the planes flew just a few metres above!

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2006 at 12:43 AM

Thanks for visiting our Uluru pages.. I enjoyed browsing through your Kerkyra tips and pictures.. Greece being on top of our list, we often enjoy local Greek food in our hometown.. Thanks for sharing.

Jerelis

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans!”

Badges & Stats in Kerkyra

Have you been to Kerkyra?