"Influenced by the Mediterranean." Graz by Jerelis
Graz Travel Guide: 577 reviews and 1,524 photos
In my childhood I stayed with my parents in the small village of Hinterstoder. On a heavily cloudy day they decided to go the city of Graz, and we was not sorry for that. Due to its position southeast of the Alps, Graz is shielded from the prevailing westerly winds and the weather is thus influenced by the Mediterranean. It has more hours of sunshine per year than any other city. We witnessed it immediately, because at the moment we entered the city the sky opened up and the sun did arrive! The reason why my parents wanted to go to Graz was rather simple, it is the second-largest city of Austria after Vienna. So their conclusion was that there had to be something of interest to see? And indeed there was ...
The oldest settlement on the ground of the modern city of Graz dates back to the Copper Age. However, there is no historical continuity of a settlement before the Middle Ages. Graz was often unsuccessfully assaulted by the Hungarians and by the Ottoman Turks. It owes its rich history of fortified buildings due to this historical time. The contrast with today is magnificent as in the last few years some strikingly modern new public buildings have been erected in the city.
Let’s make no secret of it. I do like a nice cold glass of beer. Being abroad is always a challenge to find a beer I... more travel advice
* Map and guidebook; * Crackers; * 2 Liter of water; * Fruit / power bars. * Hiking boots; * 1 extra t-shirt; * Shorts... more travel advice
Jerelis' Related Pages
Graz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Graz & A.Schwarzenegger's favorite Icecream"
- "Graz - World Heritage and Cultural Capital"
- "Graz: 2003 European Cultural Capital and More"
- "Graz - one & only! :)"
- "Arnie's Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Graz
- Hotels in Graz
- Transportation in Graz
- Nightlife in Graz
- Restaurants in Graz
- Shopping in Graz
- Warnings and Dangers in Graz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Graz
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Graz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Graz
Photos in GrazSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 57 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hinterstoder Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue