"Amphitheatre around a beautiful bay." Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal by Jerelis
Funchal Travel Guide: 511 reviews and 1,065 photos
Funchal city is the capital of the island of Madeira. It's a city of white rows of houses that climb up the hills, like an amphitheatre around a beautiful bay of blue sea. We loved to explore the city, and therefore we saw a lot of old and characteristic churches, mansions, palaces and monuments.
The compact town of Funchal is easy to get around, and the ideal place to explore on foot. Funchal is Portugal, and yet it is a culture unto itself. Historical buildings to stroll around include the 15th century cathedral, numerous churches, elegant colonial houses and the charming cobbled streets reveal delights at every turn. Nature lovers will appreciate the rich array of tropical plants found throughout Funchal. Time to explore it!
We can honestly state that the best way to explore Funchal is by foot and the second best way is also by foot! Besides giving you the opportunity to roam the narrow streets and the cosy squares, it is the quickest way too. If you really want to, you can cross the city in approximately 45 minutes. Remember that sometimes it might be quicker (and nicer!) to take a few short-cuts into picturesque alleys instead of following the masses of tourists. Maybe this is easy for us to say as we stayed for a longer period of time and not like most of the tourists only for one day. But even when your stay is rather short, do try to get away from the crowds and just have a 'look around'. Funchal is simply a perfect place to walk for a few hours and pretending to know where you are.
Don't forget to have a look at our Madeira Island page.
Madeira is a small archipelago of volcanic origin in the middle of the Atlantic. The weather is mild throughout the year. The landscape is luxuriant, irrigated by cascading streams, while mountain peaks seem to rise abruptly from the ocean.
Funchal, the capital city of the island of Madeira, is a fascinating and unique town. This historic town, dating back... more travel advice
Most people try to rush Funchal on a budget so they end up missing some of the highlights in a whirlwind. The key to... more travel advice
- See All Talk to someone who knows!
- See All Se Cathedral - The city's daily rhythm.
- See All Travelling with (young) kids.
- See All Do drink enough!!!
- See All Quinta das Cruzes Museum - Amazing...
Jerelis' Related Pages
Funchal Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Funchal - You can feel nature all around you"
- "Funchal Impressions"
- "Fabulous Funchal"
- "Amphitheatre around a beautiful bay."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Funchal
- Hotels in Funchal
- Transportation in Funchal
- Nightlife in Funchal
- Restaurants in Funchal
- Shopping in Funchal
- Warnings and Dangers in Funchal
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Funchal
- 46 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Funchal?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Funchal
- Posted in Travel Osaka Forum "Re: How to keep feet warm"
- Commented on one of solopes's Funchal travel pages
- updated a Funchal Travel Page "Amphitheatre around a beautiful bay."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Se Cathedral - Lots of locally based influences."
- Wrote a Review Talk to someone who knows! in Funchal Local Customs
Photos in FunchalSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona Intro, 57 reviews, 112 photos, 1 travelogue
- Hinterstoder Intro, 51 reviews, 108 photos, 1 travelogue