"Seaside historic town." Machico by Jerelis
Machico Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 48 photos
This seaside historic town has two old forts which bear witness to the local defence against the many pirate attacks on the village. Both forts (Nossa Senhora do Amparo and Sao Joao Baptista) date back till the 17th century and are worth a visit.
We visited Machico twice. We saw the oldest church of the island and had a great tuna steak at a restaurant which was located at the beach. A stroll from the beach back to the centre brought us near the small chapel of S. Roque, built in the 16th century. A nice little chapel, a bit hidden in the rocks, with precious paintings in stained-glass windows.
Machico is located in a valley between two maintain chains from which spring the waters that flow down its streambed. The banks of the Machico River have lush vegetation and are spotted by whitewashed houses. The city has a nice beach and facilities for both swimming and sunbathing.
Machico is probably the most historically interesting town on the island. Here was the landing point of the first discoverers of Madeira. Therefore you will find quite some beautiful old buildings like the oldest church of the island. "Capela de Nossa Senhora dos Milagres" was built in 1425. It has some beautiful paintings and tile works inside. The baroque retable in golden sculpted wood in the main chapel is the most interesting 17th century object.
Jerelis' Related Pages
Machico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Machico - Discoveries"
- "Machico - The Old Capital"
- "MADEIRA something special"
- "Seaside historic town."
- "Machico, Madeira."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Machico
- Hotels in Machico
- Transportation in Machico
- Restaurants in Machico
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Machico
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Machico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Machico
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Pula Intro, 51 reviews, 162 photos
- Fazana Intro, 45 reviews, 162 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues