"Capital of Tarraconensis" Top 5 Page for this destination Tarragona by Jerelis
Tarragona Travel Guide: 352 reviews and 883 photos
How did we ever end up at Tarragona? We can hear you think that. For a young couple with two kids it’s maybe more ‘normal’ to go to Salou for example. But we’re not normal people! We are part of VT and we do like our fair share of culture an exploring the surroundings.
Considering this wish and the wishes of the children Tarragona is maybe the perfect spot to be honest. Tarragona has preserved many remnants of its Roman past and as the capital of Tarraconensis, the Romans used it as a base for the conquest of the peninsula in the 3the century BC. Enough to explore for us. The children were able to go to the beach, as Tarragona is situated right at it. How about that? Everybody happy!
Our theory is that in 15-20 years, this place will be full of tourists. But as of now it appears to be unknown. Part of the reason may be that a massive excavation process is still underway - but there is so much already available that it is a sight to see, indeed.
The remains of many Roman buildings are to be found at Tarragona - the forum, the palace of Augustus, called the house of Pilate, the circus or amphitheatre, and the aqueduct, known as the Puente del Diablo. The colonial forum has been excavated and sits in the center of town - frankly, not treated like the historic relic that it is. It used to be the political/religious/judicial hub of the area, there was even a statue of Augustus found inside during excavation. The circus is still being uncovered, and looks to be the most amazing of the discoveries.
Most people try to rush Barcelona on a budget so they end up missing some of the highlights in a whirlwind. The key to... more travel advice
Barcelona is a city a lot of history indeed. On our first visit to Barcelona we explored the area of the Gothic Quarter... more travel advice
- See All Museu Casa Castellarnau - Legends...
- See All With a view at the beautiful Mercat.
- See All Hiking - Do take time to meander!
- Writing in the Diary of a Madman.
- See All Talk to someone who knows!
- See All Catedral - The cloister.
Jerelis' Related Pages
Tarragona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Capital of Tarraconensis"
- "Viva Tarragona !"
- "Extranero en Tarragona (+2 years)"
- "Tarragona – major Roman Empire’s colony in Spain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tarragona
- Hotels in Tarragona
- Transportation in Tarragona
- Nightlife in Tarragona
- Restaurants in Tarragona
- Shopping in Tarragona
- Warnings and Dangers in Tarragona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tarragona
- 57 Reviews
- 112 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Tarragona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tarragona
Photos in TarragonaSee All Photos (112)
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Pula Intro, 51 reviews, 162 photos
- Fazana Intro, 45 reviews, 162 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues