"Anton Pieck kind of feeling" Tecklenburg by Jerelis

Tecklenburg Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 51 photos

Old European charm

The small town of Tecklenburg is a lovely tourist place, a place to relax and to walk around or to enjoy a long weekend of doing nothing - beautifully. The city's center streets represent old European charm. As we walked these streets, we sensed becoming part of history - 100's years of lives lived out in these same streets ... farmers, traders, men, women, children, nobles, inn keepers, tradesmen, poor folk, city rulers, local clergy, old folk and young ones ... and yes ... now even us.

Back to the Middle Ages

As we stayed in Bad Bentheim and wanted to have a nice day out in a beautiful town or city we were focussed on Munster, Norhorn or Osnabruck. Via a tip we heared of the place Tecklenburg. It is so hard to imagine that this place is so close to bustling, 21st century German urban areas like Munster. Tecklenburg is a place to relax today set against a decor going back to the Middle Ages.

Tecklenburg retained some of its medieval townscape to date. Main sites include the ruined castle (now serving as open air theatre during the Summer) and the Stadtkirche (the main, old church) including tombs of the dukes of Tecklenburg and others prominent in the history of the county and city.

• Last visit to Tecklenburg: May 2011
  • Intro Updated Oct 14, 2011

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2014 at 4:43 AM

Your Tecklenburg stories provided for me a nostalgic walk around this lovely old town.
    It was the first town in Germany that I visited - 30 years ago - and liked it so much we stopped for a couple of nights in Die Drei Kronen hotel. Would really like to return and - I've checked - the hotel is still there!

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
      Dec 9, 2014 at 1:42 AM

It was my first visit to Tecklenburg and was pleasantly surprised. I truly loved its charm!

Jerelis

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans!”

Badges & Stats in Tecklenburg

Have you been to Tecklenburg?

Latest Activity in Tecklenburg