"Largest island in the lagoon." Isola di Murano by Jerelis
Isola di Murano Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 46 photos
Sleepy Murano is the largest of islands in the lagoon. It lies about 1,5 km across from Venice and was inhabitated since Roman times. The word Murano nowadays suggests glass factories and glass blowing. In fact the development of this island in the Middle Ages is strictly connected with glass. Murano was a commercial port as far back as the 7th century and by the 10th century it had grown into a prosperous trading center with its own coins, police force and commercial aristocracy. Then, in 1291, the Venetian Republic ordered glassmakers to move their foundries to Murano, because the glassworks represented a fire danger in Venice, whose buildings were mostly wooden at that time.
So what to do once you´re at Murano? Well take your wallet and your credidt card, but most of all take your sense of... more travel advice
The word Murano nowadays suggests glass factories and glass blowing. In fact the development of this island in the... more travel advice
Jerelis' Related Pages
Isola di Murano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Murano...Master of Glass"
- "Murano Island"
- "Heart of Glass - Murano"
- "Largest island in the lagoon."
- "glass blowing"
- "The Island of Glass"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Isola di Murano
- Transportation in Isola di Murano
- Shopping in Isola di Murano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Isola di Murano
- 6 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Isola di Murano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Isola di Murano
Photos in Isola di MuranoSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Hoogeveen Intro, 92 reviews, 141 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Corfu Island Intro, 76 reviews, 155 photos, 3 travelogues
- Padova Intro, 59 reviews, 155 photos
- Pula Intro, 51 reviews, 162 photos
- Fazana Intro, 45 reviews, 162 photos
- Venice Intro, 72 reviews, 131 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Narbonne Intro, 54 reviews, 149 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 56 reviews, 137 photos, 1 travelogue
- Paris Intro, 44 reviews, 135 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 69 reviews, 102 photos, 2 travelogues