"One of the winter sports centers in Germany." Winterberg by Jerelis

Winterberg Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 74 photos

Unique and so close to home.

The small village of Winterberg is one of the winter sports centers of the Sauerland (Germany), best known probably for the bobsleigh, luge, and skeleton track. For me visiting Winterberg in the winter always is an unique experience. It's a 3 hour drive from my home ... which means that whenever I want to ski I get out of bed early in the morning and 3,5 hours later I'm on top of a 900 metres high mountain, in the snow and all geared up to ski!

Enjoying quality time with my best friends.

Me and my best friends can go without seeing each other for a few weeks, but once we reunite, it feels like nothing's passed. We instinctively know if something's wrong. We worry about each other. We support each other. We laughs at each other silliness. We're exactly the same, yet also very different. We kind of balance each other out, and we learn from each other. That's what a perfect friendship is all about. In that context being in Winterberg is always a great time, being together with my best friends in the snow. We go to Winterberg every year for a long weekend of skiiing.

The Winterberg bobsleigh, luge and skeleton track.

The Winterberg bobsleigh, luge and skeleton track is a bobsleigh, luge and skeleton track located near our house in Winterberg. It was great fun to have a good look at the training runs. Although it was rather cold the excitement kept us warm. So every now and then we had to make way for the tractor that took 2 bobs back up the hills and a few minutes later we saw them coming down with huge speed in the track. As far as we could discover we learned that the track hosted the first two-woman bobsleigh world championships in 2000. It also hosted the FIBT World Championships of men bobsleigh in 1995. Quite a historical ground I must say. After a half hour we decided that it was time to get back to our warm house and we took off. But still in the background hearing the bobsleigh getting down fast!

• Last visit to Winterberg: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Feb 6, 2013

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Jeroen, fantastic updates about Winterberg here. This sounds like a typical Dutch skiing holiday in the Sauerland. Only I am quite surprised that you drink Amstel beer instead of the local beers of the Sauerland region.

Jerelis Visits Here Frequently!

Jerelis

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans!”

Badges & Stats in Winterberg

Have you been to Winterberg?

Latest Activity in Winterberg