"Zion National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Zion National Park by GuthrieColin

Zion National Park Travel Guide: 596 reviews and 1,368 photos

Zion is on of the most visited parks in the Desert Southwest. With an annual visitor flow of over 2 million people a year it is no wonder that it is one of the most easily accessible and visitor friendly parks that I have been to. Its name came from an ancient Hebrew word meaning "a place of refuge or sanctuary."
The park was established in 1909 as Mukntuweap National Monument and has since been expanded renamed. It is approximately 229 square miles (593.1 km) and is truly impressive. The elevation is from 3,666 ft (1,128m), Coalpits Wash at its lowest point to 8,726 feet (2,660M), Horse Ranch Mountain at its highest.
The precipitation in Zion is only about 15 inches per year however it averages over 14 thunderstorms per month in July and August. The park has a wide variety of plant and animal life and is the ancestral home of Puebloan Indians. Admission is 20 dollars per car.

Zion links:
www.nps.gov
www.americansouthwest.net
www.utah.com

• Last visit to Zion National Park: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2006

• goodfish's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Great pages on one of my favorite parks, Colin. LOL, I still haven't conquered Angels Landing, and don't think I'll ever be able to get my heights-hating husband up there! But the Narrows were fabulous - would love to do that one again.

• GuthrieColin's Profile Photo
      Oct 31, 2012 at 7:39 PM

I didn't notice a bridge. The last... mile is steep with a lot of exposure. I didn't touch a cable or chain the whole way up and I was practically running. It was not extremely difficult and they have safety cables if you were concerned.

• goodfish's Profile Photo
      Nov 1, 2012 at 2:39 AM

By 'bridge' I meant that very narrow place you cross before the last section. Honestly, I was more worried about coming DOWN that last section than going UP. Height is not so hairy when you don't have to look at your feet!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Good detail comments as to what to do and see, and pictures help make my decision on the trip

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM

Colin, you just keep throwing these amazing NP pages at us!! Zion is spectacular with its Narrows, Angels Landing and the unique Walter's Wiggles! A very enjoyable read and your tips are especially helpful for visitors.

• agapotravel's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 1:38 PM

Wow, Colin! Another great page of pictures and tips. A couple of your shots make me a little squeamish about hiking Angels Landing. It looks a bit daunting. :-)

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Really Wonderful page on Zion, Colin! We're off on our Southern Utah trip in just a few weeks and this is our 1st stop. Thanks for the tips!!!

• Apr 3, 2006 at 11:14 AM

if i had the time i'd read your tips and check them out closer, but im not in seattle to play online all day! hehe. from what i;ve seen though your photos are fab, and i cannot wait for zion! you've whet my appetite for zion!

GuthrieColin

“?Nothing is weaker than water, but when it attacks something hard or resistant, nothing withstands it.? - Lao Tzu”

Badges & Stats in Zion National Park

Have you been to Zion National Park?

Latest Activity in Zion National Park