"HOME...or SOMETHING LIKE IT" Hillsborough by was_the_beav

Hillsborough Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 7 photos

We called it Home

This was my favorite house, out in the country on plenty of land. We kept horses here and had nothing around us for miles. You could sit on the back deck on summer nights and watch the fireflies dance. This is no longer the family home, but I haven't got pics of the new one yet. I'll revisit this page in the coming months and update a bit. I know you are all just holding your breath. ;-)

THE BIG little TOWN

Hillsborough...well, it's home for now, at any rate. A quiet little historical town that until recently was a happy near-secret, tucked away very near Durham and Chapel Hill. It has been "discovered" by the yuppies in the last few years and so earned a new status it never before enjoyed. This, of course, means that the property taxes have soared to a level that makes it hard for the native townspeople to keep their homes, while 'upgrading' the town itself to registry on the historical docket.

There is one real " Main street" in town, strangely given another name. The best thing about this little road is that by the time I am on it, I am only 15 minutes away from HOME. Sure, there's a 24-hour SUPER-WALMART on the other side of the highway, a few little artsy shops and even a gourmet coffee shop--yep, we hit the almost -bigtime ( no Starbucks yet )-- but even the three stoplights along the strip cannot keep me. My home in the country is calling. Besides, if you stop for too long, it gives the townspeople something to talk about...you know small towns, anywhere...

:-)

• Intro Updated Jul 18, 2008

was_the_beav

“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~Thoreau”

Badges & Stats in Hillsborough

Have you been to Hillsborough?

Latest Activity in Hillsborough