"Walk On" was_the_beav's Profile

Illusions...and promises

Hidden

From all I've done and all I've said
let them not seek to find who I've been.

An obstacle stood and transformed
my acts and way of my life.
An obstacle stood and stopped me
many a time as I was going to speak.

My most unobserved acts,
and my writings the most covered --
thence only they will feel me.

But mayhaps it is not worth to spend
this much care and this much effort to know me.

For -- in the more perfect society --
someone else like me created
will certainly appear and freely act.

~ Konstantinus Kavafis

***

Long Ago

Sometimes the way home is hard to find--it seems a lifetime away. When it's dark and the wind blows too hard, just stand still, look deep inside and remember: Home is where you are loved. It is where promises are kept, no matter what.

It is here.
__________________________

Golden Slumbers

Once there was a way to get back homeward.
Once there was a way to get back home.
Sleep pretty darling do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby.
Golden Slumbers fill your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise.
Sleep pretty darling do not cry,
And I will sing a lullaby.

~ The Beatles (Abbey Road)

2008... What I Can Say Now...

It's been many years since I first joined this Virtual Tourist community. Some of you may remember me as just plain "beav", a name I abandoned for a couple years before returning under my current, subtle disguise. In the early years, I met several wonderful people, some of whom have moved on and others who remain. Time seemed a little slower for me then, and I could spend hours online just hanging out in forums and chatrooms, getting to know all my friends better. Because of this site, my life has been enriched immeasurably in both terms of global understanding and the inestimable blessing of the relationships formed here. Some of the most important people in my life now are those I met on VT. With the passing of years, time has become a less available commodity, and I am unable to be on the site so much; like I said, many have left or, like myself, spend little time here anymore for various reasons. I miss them. Sometimes VT seems almost unrecognizable from the early days, but everything changes, and it's gratifying to see such a worthy undertaking not only survive but even thrive as the site offerings and community continue to evolve. Also it's good to know that G is still around, looking over everything, remembering Thing, Antartica, and early evening Happy Hours. I hope you will find something useful or at least interesting here in my pages. I have much more to share, things that I had on my old pages, but they just never made it back onto the new site. In time, I hope to rebuild some old pages and maybe even add some new thoughts and photos to some places I've neglected completely. I've indicated my favorite places, though some quite briefly and grossly inadequately. There's a place or two about which no comments I could make would ever do justice. Cuba is one of these places...I could try, but the place is buried so deeply inside that I fear words never come. But I have alot to say, so every once in awhile, you can find me in the forum...but not nearly as often as in years past. When there's another party in Antarctica, please someone....let me know.

• Intro Updated Jul 12, 2008

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
was_the_beav's Profile Photo

was_the_beav

“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. ~Thoreau”

Real Name