"Kurtuvenai" Kurtuvenai by LanaFromRiga
Kurtuvenai Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 7 photos
Kurtuvenai Regional Park was established in 1992, with the aim to protect hilly landscape of Kurtuvenai with forested and laky surroundings, its natural encourage traditional lifestyle.
Park area covers 15 090 ha, including 12 130 ha of forests. Whole parks territory divided into several zone, where different limitations are applicable: conservation (nature reserves), ecological priory (preservation), recreation, economic (forestry and agriculture) and living zones. Sparsely populated park territory has over 1200 local dwellers.
Surroundings of Kurtuvenai are attributed to Eastern (the Old) Zemaitija ethnographic region with dominating sole homesteads and eclectic villages scattered along forest edges and lakesides.
People inhabited the surroundings of Kurtuvenai as early as the late Stone Age. Castle mounds, worshiping mounds, and burial mounds are abundant there and indicate that people lived there in Copper and Iron Ages as well.
In 14th century a nobleman established an estate in Kurtuvenai, which reached the peak of its luxury in 15th century. The most valuable building of the estate is 200 years old wooden barn. In 1495 the first church was erected in Kurtuvenai and a catholic parish created.
Construction heritage object that have remained are channel connecting the Dubysa and Venta rivers dug up in 1825 through 1831 and water-mills of Dengtiltis and Mirkishke.
- Pros:Easy to reach from Riga and Siauliai
- Cons:Very small village
- In a nutshell:Pleasant timespending on weekends
The Shrovetide Feast of Kurtuvenai is acknowledged as one of the most viable traditional festivals all over Lithuania.... more travel advice
LanaFromRiga's Related Pages
Kurtuvenai Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kurtuvenai
- Transportation in Kurtuvenai
- Restaurants in Kurtuvenai
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kurtuvenai
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Kurtuvenai?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kurtuvenai
Photos in KurtuvenaiSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 59 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 34 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 43 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Valencia Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesis Intro, 19 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn County Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos