Latvia Sports & Outdoors Tips by LanaFromRiga Top 5 Page for this destination
Latvia Sports & Outdoors: 7 reviews and 15 photos
The first snow in Latvia arrives in November, but the real skiing season begins only around Christmas time and lasts till the end of March. The average temperature in winter is -2C with January being the coldest month. The heaviest snowfall in Latvia occurs in north-eastern part – and that’s where the most popular ski hills are located. These hills have well groomed ski runs of varying difficulty, tows, night lighting and snow-making equipment. Cafes or snack bars and equipment rental shops where you can rent skis, boots, snowboards and other gear are nearby.
Equipment: The name of the trail “Golgata trase (Gaizins)”, length: 230-320m, location: Madonas reg., telephone: 00 371 4873496;
The name of the trail “Kakisha trase”, length: 315m, location: Sigulda., telephone: 00 371 6579939;
The name of the trail “Milzkalne”, length:160 – 320m, location: Tukuma reg., telephone: 00 3716333444.
photo by Andrei Skangals
- Fishing with float – the easiest way to fish, suitable for all ages and feasible in almost all waters. Catch: carp, tench, bream, catfilsh, roach, perch and others.
- Fishing with down ridger – the most exciting way in the summertime, from dawn till dusk. Catch: bream, chub, white fish, perch, eel, burbot, Daugava and Aiviekste also hold catfish, and flounder, turbot, and eel can be caught inshore.
- Fly-fishing – the most effective method to catch trout, grayling, chub in streams and fast flowing rivers with clear water.
- Spinning – the most sportsman-like fishing method. Pike, perch, pickerel, asp, can be caught this way. In the summer of 2003, a 58,2 kg catfish was caught by someone, spinning from Daugava’s shoreline, setting a new Latvian record. With the right equipment and expertise one can also catch chub and trout.
- Salmon-trout and salmon can only be fished with a special license during specified periods in specially designated river sections.
- Trolling – usually in the larger lakes and rivers, but usually yields a 5 – 10 kg pike.
- Ice fishing – favourite fishing in the winter. Catch: perch, salmon – trout, smelt and others.
- Fishing in privately stocked reservoirs where the owners are paid per kilogram of fish caught or per day of fishing, within are pre-limit. Most often, fishing for carp and trout is being offered.
Equipment: Vidzeme: Straupes – a cottage 25 km from Riga by the way “VIA Baltica” road. The sea beyond the sand dunes. A pond for fishing in the courtyard. E-mail: email@example.com, tel.: 00 371 9277760;
Zemgale: Upmali – a hunting lodge with a sauna in bucolic tranquillity, commercial fishing. www.upmali.times.lv, tel.: 00 371 3063244, 00 371 9237149.
Kurzeme: Ezerkrasti – a house with beautiful interior and all the amenities, right on the lakeshore. Beautiful nature, tranquillity, switching in the sauna, fishing, rides in paddleboats and rowboats. www.exerkrasti.lv, tel.: 00 371 9133442.
Latgale: Ezerzemes – a traditional Latgale home with smoke sauna right on the shores of Lake Nirza. Guest bedrooms on the 2nd floor in the host’s home and unheated summer bedroom in a separate building. www.ezerzemes.lv, tel.: 00 371 9488376.
Theme: Fishing Trips
To fish in public waters in Latvia one must obtain a fishing permit and, in some cases, a license as well. Children under the age 16, pensioners over age of 65 and individuals with special needs do not need a permit to fish.
Equipment: Permits and licenses can be purchased in fishing supply stores, fishing clubs and elsewhere; there are also good places to obtain additional information
Theme: Fishing Trips
More Reviews (16)
LanaFromRiga's Related Pages
Latvia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweet Home... Latvia"
- "Country of Landscapes"
- "Welcome to my country"
- "The country of Northern wind"
- "My home - Latvia"
- "Under Construction!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Latvia
- Hotels in Latvia
- Transportation in Latvia
- Nightlife in Latvia
- Restaurants in Latvia
- Shopping in Latvia
- Warnings and Dangers in Latvia
- See All...
Explore the World
- Bordighera Hotels
- Folkestone Hotels
- Ebel es Saqi Hotels
- State of Meghalaya Hotels
Badges & Stats in Latvia
- 176 Reviews
- 280 Photos
- 253 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (19)
Have you been to Latvia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Latvia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 59 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 34 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 43 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Valencia Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesis Intro, 19 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn County Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Top Latvia hotels
- Riga Hotels
- 1537 Reviews - 3858 Photos
- Cesis Hotels
- 63 Reviews - 165 Photos
- Ventspils Hotels
- 54 Reviews - 110 Photos
- Sigulda Hotels
- 108 Reviews - 322 Photos
- Daugavpils Hotels
- 36 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Bolderaja Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Terehova Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Rundale Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Murjani Hotels
- 1 Review - 1 Photo
- Kuldiga Hotels
- 38 Reviews - 100 Photos
- Zvejniekciems Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 5 Photos
- Tukums Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Subate Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Sturisi Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Salaspils Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 29 Photos