Tallinn County Things to Do Tips by LanaFromRiga Top 5 Page for this destination
Tallinn County Things to Do: 296 reviews and 315 photos
The monument to ferry Estonia
The monument to ferry Estonia remind us about the big tragedy what happened some years ago.
Directions: Not far from the Old Tallinn, near the tower Fat Margarita
If you were in Riga and saw three brothers's buildings there. It would be very interesting to visit Tallinn and to see three sisters's buildings.
Directions: Near the Tower Fat Margarite
This beautiful orthodox church is in the heart of old Tallinn
Address: Lossi plats 10
Directions: Toompea hill
Viru Gates were built in the 14th century, but the towers that now remain are only part of what was originally here. The Viru Gates are in the eastern section of the city wall. The main tower of the gates was originally built in the years 1345-55.
Directions: In the entrance of old Tallinn (from Viru street side)
St.Catherine’s Passage is a landmark combining master craftsmen’s workshops with a medieval atmosphere. Catherine’s passage (Katariina kaik) connects Vene and Muurivahe streets. You can see the remaining portions of St. Catherine’s Church in the northern part of the passage.
Address: Vene 12 - In the Old Town
Directions: Connects Vene and Müürivahe streets
Dominican Monastery museum
Dominican Monastery is the oldest cloister in downtown Tallinn.
Monastery was founded in 1246. The structure of the building is that of a typical Catholic cloister. From the beginning of the monastery’s activities there was an unofficial school on the premises. It now houses an exhibition on the stonemasonry of Tallinn as well as temporary exhibits and concerts. People with extrasensory powers will be intrigued by the energy column in the chapter house.
Address: Vene 16
Directions: Old Town
Toompea castle is one of Estonia’s eldest and greatest architecture groupings. Built in the 13th century the castle is situated on the steep limestone coast, 50 metres above sea level. It is one of the most potent symbols of reigning power. Today the Estonian Parliament is housed here.
Address: Lossi plats 1
The city wall
Town wall with its defence towers had become on of the most powerful and strongest defense systems in Northern Europe by the 16th century. Medieval fortresses which emerged during the development of the medieval town at the end of the 13th century surrounded the city centre as a closed defence zone.
Directions: Around the old Tallinn
The Great coastal gate
The Great Coastal Gate and Fat Margaret’s Tower were built as a defense on the seaward side of town, but also for impressing visitors coming in from the sea.
The Great Coastal Gate built along with the city wall is situated on the northern side of the Old Town, near the harbour.
During the reconstruction of the gate in the early 16th century the cannon tower Fat Margaret was added. The round tower with 155 loopholes a diameter of 25 metres and a height about 20 metres was built to protect the harbour. It got this name from the fact that it was indeed the stoutest tower in the city wall. Through history the cannon tower has also served as a storehouse for gunpowder and weapons and as a prison.
Fat Margaret’s Tower now houses the Estonian Maritime Museum, with a permanent exhibit on Estonian maritime and fishing history. The viewing platform on the roof affords a lovely view onto the Old Town and the bay.
Open: Wed-Sun 10:00 – 18:00.
Address: Pikk 70
Tallinn Town Hall is the best preserved medieval town hall in Northern Europe. The Town Hall was first mentioned as early as 1322, when it appears to have been in its present site on the Town Hall square. It was reconstructed and given the external appearance we see today, however in 1402 -1404.
Directions: In the Old part of Tallinn
More Reviews (9)
LanaFromRiga's Related Pages
Tallinn County Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My good, old home town"
- "A Brit's guide to Tallin"
- "The capital of Estonia"
- "tallinn (reval) estonia"
- "The Noble City of Tallinn"
- "Tallinn, the city will never be the same"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tallinn County
- Hotels in Tallinn County
- Transportation in Tallinn County
- Nightlife in Tallinn County
- Restaurants in Tallinn County
- Shopping in Tallinn County
- Warnings and Dangers in Tallinn County
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tallinn County
- 24 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Tallinn County?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tallinn County
- Posted in Travel Riga Forum "Re: Restaurants in Riga"
- Wrote a Review The monument to ferry "Estonia" about Old Town - Vanalinn in Tallinn County Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The monument to ferry "Estonia""
- updated a Tallinn County Travel Page "The capital of Estonia"
- Commented on one of vytisknight's Tallinn County travel pages
Photos in Tallinn CountySee All Photos (25)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Riga Region Intro, 59 reviews, 90 photos, 5 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 34 reviews, 74 photos, 1 travelogue
- London Intro, 41 reviews, 43 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 37 reviews, 40 photos
- Valencia Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gorod Sankt-Peterburg Intro, 28 reviews, 27 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tartu Intro, 23 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Latvia Intro, 19 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cesis Intro, 19 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tallinn County Intro, 24 reviews, 25 photos
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- City walls & towers- 29 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Russian orthodox cathedral - Aleksander Nevsky cathedral- 20 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Architecture & monuments- 21 Reviews, 27 Photos
- Town Hall square - Raekoja Plats- 19 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Old Town - Vanalinn- 22 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Churches & Landmarks- 25 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Toompea Hill & Castle- 11 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Views & walks- 26 Reviews, 26 Photos
- Kadriorg Palace & Park- 7 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Rocca al Mare - Open air museum, Zoo & Tivoli- 9 Reviews, 14 Photos
See All Tallinn County Things to Do