"Nauru - World's Smallest Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Nauru by glenn57

Nauru Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 46 photos

Nauru is the world's smallest republic, and 3rd smallest independent nation. It is a very small island in the Pacific Ocean, very close to the equator.

In the 1970's, Nauru became one of the world's richest nations on a per capita basis, due to its mining of phophate from its interior. Royalties from this flowed both to the people who owned the land the phosphates were on, and to the government. Unfortunately, the government spent its money rather lavishly, and made some poor investment, so now its money has dried up. The phosphate has virtually all been moned, so now Nauru's largest (by far) source of income is gone.

Meanwhile, Nauru has one of the world's highest rates of diabetes and obesity (the two are linked, of course).

The Nauruan people are among the friendliest in the world, in my opinion. As a tourist there, I was quite an oddity, and everyone wanted to talk to me. I couldn't walk the ring road of the island for even a few minutes without someone offering me a ride. One woman even offered me free use of her vehicle for my entire stay on Nauru (I refused politely).

• Last visit to Nauru: Sep 2001
  • Intro Written May 5, 2007

• Odiseya's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Nice page! You have very nice photos and I believe you have a good time there!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM

nauru seems to be very peaceful place! is that right? a good getaway from the busy life in big cities

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2008 at 12:46 PM

This country always fascinated me!!! I hope to be there one day!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 10:56 PM

Amaazing page of a less travelled place - Nauru. Wish I knew you then, would love a postcard from there. Cheers, SL :)

• Dec 27, 2007 at 10:07 AM

HI Glenn!sorry for my english. I'm a 18 years old italian boy and i'd like to visit Nauru.i leave you my e-mail address= roastingjack@hotmail.it ,and if you want answer me,you are the welcome!!!Fede

• chris1275's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I'm so jealous! I booked a ticket to Nauru just days before the collapse of Air Nauru... I'll go one day! My next trip is to Yap!

• CdnJane's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Thanks for information on a place I'd never heard of before.

• bijo69's Profile Photo
    May 5, 2007 at 5:40 PM

Interesting page, although I'm not quite sure why someone would visit Nauru...

glenn57

“Why stay in an expensive 5-star hotel when you can sleep on a park bench with a piece of cardboard over you for free? :)”

Badges & Stats in Nauru