"Nauru - World's Smallest Republic" Top 5 Page for this destination Nauru by glenn57
Nauru Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 46 photos
Nauru is the world's smallest republic, and 3rd smallest independent nation. It is a very small island in the Pacific Ocean, very close to the equator.
In the 1970's, Nauru became one of the world's richest nations on a per capita basis, due to its mining of phophate from its interior. Royalties from this flowed both to the people who owned the land the phosphates were on, and to the government. Unfortunately, the government spent its money rather lavishly, and made some poor investment, so now its money has dried up. The phosphate has virtually all been moned, so now Nauru's largest (by far) source of income is gone.
Meanwhile, Nauru has one of the world's highest rates of diabetes and obesity (the two are linked, of course).
The Nauruan people are among the friendliest in the world, in my opinion. As a tourist there, I was quite an oddity, and everyone wanted to talk to me. I couldn't walk the ring road of the island for even a few minutes without someone offering me a ride. One woman even offered me free use of her vehicle for my entire stay on Nauru (I refused politely).
Air Nauru is the only way to fly to Nauru. It has been grounded at times in the past. In June 1996, it bought a new... more travel advice
Wait, you can do that here, in the privacy of your own home ! Here I am next to a plumeria (frangipani) tree, somewhere... more travel advice
glenn57's Related Pages
Nauru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nauru - World's Smallest Republic"
- "The one and only"
- "eigigu's new Nauru Page"
- "crazybear's new Nauru Page"
- "Moon landscape"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nauru
- Hotels in Nauru
- Transportation in Nauru
- Nightlife in Nauru
- Restaurants in Nauru
- Shopping in Nauru
- Warnings and Dangers in Nauru
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nauru
- 12 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (9)
Have you been to Nauru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nauru
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiribati Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nauru Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola di Capri Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Faroe Islands Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Ilulissat Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Toronto 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Romania Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos