"Greenland" Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland by glenn57

Greenland Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 706 photos

I spent 2 weeks in Greenland in 2004, and the scenery was absolutely spectacular. My photos can't do justice to the incredible sites that I saw there.

Although the old expression is 'Iceland is green, and Greenland is ice', I have to disagree. In most of the inhabited parts of Greenland in the summer, you see mostly green (and the blue of the water); you only see ice in those few places that are near the ice cap, or near icebergs. The non-ice cap part of Greenland is up to 250 km wide.

What surprised me most about Greenland was how Westernized the West coast is. Teenagers on cell phones, adults bopping around small villages in their SUV's, rock music blasting from speakers.... it was all very disappointing for me, who had imagined something a bit more traditional. Also, I found the West Greenlanders stand-offish; perhaps they're tired of tourists, but on the West coast, they certainly took no interest in me or other tourists I saw.

The East coast, however, is completely different. In the village of Kulusuk, there is no running water, there are no cars, and there is no transport from the airport to the village (you have to walk the 3 km with all your luggage). The people still hunt seals, polar bears and whales. And the people are very friendly. This was the Greenland I had pictured in my head. Kulusuk also has a spectacular setting.

• Last visit to Greenland: Jul 2004
  • Intro Updated Feb 21, 2005

• Anita_Porec's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2009 at 11:41 PM

awesome! I can't wait to go now....:) Great photos

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Nov 23, 2008 at 1:56 AM

enjoyed your page, with its good tips and great photos. its somewhere I still want to visit

• Carmanah's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Your photos are spectacular... what a fantastic experience you had. I would love to visit Greenland one day.

• galy's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Great pictures, very good information. So when is the whale watching season?

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2007 at 9:45 AM

I am dreaming of going there as well, Glenn - thanks for a great page with awesome pictures!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Wow, that is pretty! It must have been wonderful to visit Greenland.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 3:22 PM

Interesting page about this fascinating destination. Many times I have allready considered to make a trip to Greenland. For now I visit your page again....

• Saagar's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2006 at 3:16 AM

Glenn, thanks for good tips! I am thinking of flying on the Kuluskuk day trip from Reykjavik. Is it a good idea? Olav

• spanishguy's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 12:37 AM

What a wonderful pictures of the icebergs and the animals Glenn! I felt in love with Greenland when I flough over it.

• hunwagner's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2005 at 7:54 PM

This is a place high on my Wish List - but unfortunately the costs of visiting will make sure it will stay just a wish for long time yet... :-(

glenn57

“Why stay in an expensive 5-star hotel when you can sleep on a park bench with a piece of cardboard over you for free? :)”

Badges & Stats in Greenland

Have you been to Greenland?

Latest Activity in Greenland