"Greenland" Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland by glenn57
Greenland Travel Guide: 302 reviews and 854 photos
I spent 2 weeks in Greenland in 2004, and the scenery was absolutely spectacular. My photos can't do justice to the incredible sites that I saw there.
Although the old expression is 'Iceland is green, and Greenland is ice', I have to disagree. In most of the inhabited parts of Greenland in the summer, you see mostly green (and the blue of the water); you only see ice in those few places that are near the ice cap, or near icebergs. The non-ice cap part of Greenland is up to 250 km wide.
What surprised me most about Greenland was how Westernized the West coast is. Teenagers on cell phones, adults bopping around small villages in their SUV's, rock music blasting from speakers.... it was all very disappointing for me, who had imagined something a bit more traditional. Also, I found the West Greenlanders stand-offish; perhaps they're tired of tourists, but on the West coast, they certainly took no interest in me or other tourists I saw.
The East coast, however, is completely different. In the village of Kulusuk, there is no running water, there are no cars, and there is no transport from the airport to the village (you have to walk the 3 km with all your luggage). The people still hunt seals, polar bears and whales. And the people are very friendly. This was the Greenland I had pictured in my head. Kulusuk also has a spectacular setting.
The area around Kulusuk is stunning from the air. All you see is blue water, grey mountains, and snow and ice, for... more travel advice
Kulusuk, on the east coast of Greenland, has a population of about 300. It is the destination of day-trips to Greenland... more travel advice
glenn57's Related Pages
Greenland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ayornamut - Saagar's Greenland pages"
- "Welcome to the high north"
- "Greenland from the air"
- "Gateway to Greenland via Kangerlussuaq"
- "Greenland seen from the air"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Greenland
- Hotels in Greenland
- Transportation in Greenland
- Nightlife in Greenland
- Restaurants in Greenland
- Shopping in Greenland
- Warnings and Dangers in Greenland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Greenland
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 14 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Greenland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Greenland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madagascar Intro, 16 reviews, 17 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiribati Intro, 16 reviews, 16 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Greenland Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nauru Intro, 12 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Isola di Capri Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Faroe Islands Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 8 reviews, 3 photos
- Ilulissat Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Toronto 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Romania Intro, 3 reviews, 4 photos