"Melbourne to Sydney by Drive" Sydney by chennaismartguy

Sydney Travel Guide: 5,819 reviews and 13,589 photos

During the long weekend of Australia day we (7 of us…Me, Magesh, Manian, Sobee, Srikanth, Srikanth’s wife Jothi and Laxmi) decided to rent a car and drive to Sydney, it’s just a sudden plan on a Wednesday afternoon and weekend starts from Friday!! Someone said that we can’t make it, since all the rooms & cars might have been booked by now. Someone said let us give a try!!

We rushed to the Franklin Street, since that street has lot of car rental companies and its very near to Melbourne Central, where we work!! Checked out with Thrifty’s, Avis, Budget and couple of others….hard luck…there is no Toyoto Tarago (since we are of 7 thought of taking this vehicle)…finally settled down for Mitsubishi Pajero (which could take 7 people) with Thrifty’s Car rental. Yeppie!!! Now we got the car and someone called couple of friends @ Sydney to book for rooms. Nope!! But two of our friends at Sydney like to share their apartments with us. They live at Paramatta one of the suburbs of Sydney. By now almost all the problems were solved since 4 of us can drive.

On Friday morning we went to Thrifty to pick up the car and they said I can call them to put all the drivers’ name in the driving list, since I do not have their driving licenses with me. So the car is booked against me as a single driver and on my card!!!...that means I have to be careful while driving and more careful while others do.

Since this is my first time driving experience at Australia, I was little bit of excitement…offcourse I do not have any problem in driving along the left side of the road….since I am used to it for many years!! At most of the places inside the city the speed limit is 40 km/hour…but varies from 40 to 60….just on the highway its 80 kms/hr. I thought that is ok.. and hoping that at the Freeway it must be around 130-140 km/hr…when I reached the Freeway…to my surprise the speed limit is only 110 km/hr. As soon as I saw those 110 my feet started hurting me….since it will be a long drive to Sydney. I can’t over speed, since there are lots of cameras around everywhere and also I am driving for the first time in Australia, I am not sure about how much $ the cops will fine me!!!

It took almost 10 hours to reach Sydney from Melbourne, since we stopped every 1:30 hrs to 2 hrs. Think we stopped for more than 6 times!!! Its very difficult to get to the right place inside Sydney if you don’t know the route or if you don’t have a very good map. We have to thank Sobee, since he bought a map on the way while we are at one of the gas stations. Very good navigation by Jo, assisted by all the others we could manage to find the right place at the Parramatta. Our friends apartment is located right on the church street (one of the happening place) next to the Parramatta river

We decided to leave the car at Parramatta and use the public transport to see around Sydney, since we don’t know the roads and its not very easy to find a parking space. During the night we do not have any problem in parking our car along the road, but the next day (Saturday) we couldn’t even park on the side roads, since all the roads have only 1 hour parking…including at McD around the corner. At last we could able to park at one of the hotels, they charged $32 for almost 24hrs!!! thatz a huge money for parking….I felt its OK…since the car is safe and you no need to worry about shifting the car every 1 hr.

Trust me you can save a lot of time and money if you travel by the public transport, buy a day saver and you can use the same for Tram, Train, Ferry and Busses. What more you want?? Offcourse! you cant use the same for Monorail at the Darling Harbor. Check out my ‘Things to do’ section for the details about the places of visit.

After visiting most places which we have in our mind, we returned to our friends apartment. The place (Church Street) is loaded with people and everyone seems to be having a good time. Hope the nightlife must be great….since we are tiered (especially me) and have to drive all the next day…went to bed around 2:00pm. The next day our way back to Melbourne was quite good, and it took only 8 hrs…hope this is because of our knowledge/ previous experience on the same road!!! Kidding!!!

• Last visit to Sydney: Jan 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2007

Comments

chennaismartguy

“World is a open book, person who dosen't travel reads only the first page”

Badges & Stats in Sydney