"Honduras" Honduras by Mittnic
Honduras Travel Guide: 1,530 reviews and 4,276 photos
In the hillside of Tegucigalpa Jesus stands next to the over-sized Coca Cola board as a telling symbol of Honduras, a country shaped by traditional believes and the dominance of American multinationals.
With the establishment of United Fruit and Standard Fruit in early twentieth century Honduras became the archetype of a banana republic, a country run in the interest of foreign corporates. Today coffee has replaced bananas as the main crop, domestic corruption is probably a larger obstacle to development then a primitive economy and the American influence now as much cultural as political.
"The sleeping giant of tourism in Central America" is the description of Honduras in one of my guide books and although it's too long neglected by most travellers this sleepy country is not likely to be a giant of any sort. That said, it's an interesting country that offers plenty to see and do.
The Maya ruins of Copan, the Caribian beaches, colonial towns and trekking in national parks are all good reasons to visit the country.
- Pros:Beautiful beaches, Very good snorkeling & diving, pleasent colonial towns, a capital with more charm than its reputation, many options for hiking in the forest
- Cons:Few people speak English; mid & high class accommodation is often over -priced; lack of infrastructure
- In a nutshell:Would I recommend it? -Yes definitivly. Planning a return trip? -No
The picture is from downtown Tegucigalpa and it might belong in another category, but on the other hand the city is a... more travel advice
Rather impressing. Even if other Maya sites are bigger Copen is said to be on a very high artistic level, especially its... more travel advice
Mittnic's Related Pages
Honduras Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Worthy of Many Returns!"
- "Honduras - The essence of Central America"
- "LATINO82's An Earthly Paradise HONDURAS"
- "Central American Nation with Plenty to Offer"
- "Caribbean Feelings and Diving"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Honduras
- Hotels in Honduras
- Transportation in Honduras
- Nightlife in Honduras
- Restaurants in Honduras
- Shopping in Honduras
- Warnings and Dangers in Honduras
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Honduras
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Honduras?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Honduras
Top 10 Pages
- North Korea Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Honduras Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gotland Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Azerbaijan Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- T'bilisi Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Svalbard Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Damascus Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gori Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos