"Heliopolis -playground of giants" Baalbeck by Mittnic
Baalbeck Travel Guide: 144 reviews and 504 photos
Baalbek is the site of the Roman city Heliopolis and it’s not to be missed. What remains is mainly the temple area but that’s enough to impress anyone. It’s large and in a reasonably good condition and it’s not too difficult to imagine how it originally looked like. Considerably harder to grasp is how this was build. The columns of the Jupiter temple are 22,9 metres high and the cut stones of the foundations are truly gigantic. The input of resources to construct something like this must have been immense and big as it is Heliopolis was a mere mediumsized Roman city.
Baalbek’s position in the Beka Valley alone is a reason to go here. The scenery is fantastic, lush orchards and snow-covered mountains in the background.
Mastery in details...
References to the Al Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem are seen everywhere in the Middle East. In mural paintings, on bank notes... more travel advice
Mittnic's Related Pages
Baalbeck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roman grandeur"
- "Julia Augusta Felix"
- "City of the Sun and Hezbollah"
- "Baalbek - Heliopolis"
- "BAALBECK - CITY OF THE SUN"
- "The City of the Sun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Baalbeck
- Hotels in Baalbeck
- Transportation in Baalbeck
- Nightlife in Baalbeck
- Restaurants in Baalbeck
- Shopping in Baalbeck
- Warnings and Dangers in Baalbeck
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Baalbeck
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Baalbeck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Baalbeck
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination North Korea Intro, 13 reviews, 36 photos, 1 travelogue
- Shanghai Intro, 17 reviews, 20 photos
- Honduras Intro, 12 reviews, 23 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gotland Intro, 10 reviews, 24 photos
- Azerbaijan Intro, 6 reviews, 22 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 5 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- T'bilisi Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos
- Svalbard Intro, 12 reviews, 10 photos
- Damascus Intro, 5 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Gori Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos