"Fylde Coast" henry14's Profile

Fleetwood Pier - RIP

Sadly, Fleetwood Pier is no more. Burning down in 'mysterious circumstances' in September 2008. There will be few very local adults that dont have childhood memories of visits to the pier, either having a ride in the little blue helicopter that rose a whole two foot off the ground at the speed of an inch a minute, or so it appeared!..or feeding pennies into the penny falls machine, that I swear had the pennies glued to the shelves because they never did fall!

The remaining Pier structure was subsequently deemed unsafe and completely demolished. A very sad day indeed.

• Intro Updated May 2, 2009

• toemayn's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2013 at 8:04 AM

Hope your birthday is filled with all the fun you can handle!

• henry14's Profile Photo
      Jan 2, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Belated thanks for the birthday greetings. Happy New Year to you!

• meiyergani's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Happy Birthday...

• henry14's Profile Photo
      Jan 2, 2014 at 4:46 AM

Belated thanks for the birthday greeting. Happy New Year to you!

• maple_air's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Ha! I've got a feeling that that's gonna be the case. I've not been there yet, yet i'm making plans already of what would I do on my follow-up trip! #superexcitedmuch!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Hi Beverley. Wow, you have been on VT longer than I have and I don't believe our VT paths have crossed. Thanks for signing my guest map. I appreciate the gesture. :-)

• chrisbilal's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Thanks a bunch! The kitty is such a cutie - I couldn't help myself.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I had missed this news - reading it made me sad -remembering the smell of kippers and the boat to the I.O.M. - the last time we went was 1950! Not many of those lovely old piers left now.

• wise23girl's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2010 at 12:37 AM

Hello. My mother was born in Lytham St Annes. Was in Fleetwood at night in Nov 2009 for concert. Did not know about the pier which I had seen on earlier visits. Also had VT meet in St Annes Marg

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Thank you so much. Hope you have a very Happy New Year . . . and many Happy Travels.

• Andrew_W_K's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2009 at 7:37 AM

Don't do the cable car on your last day. A couple of years ago it broke down mid air and the passengers were 15 hours dangling!

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2008 at 6:43 AM

Sorry about the burn. Over the pond, in Utah, an historic bridge just burned due a 7 year old playing with matches. Oh...what a shame.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!