"Little Town on the Prairie" De Smet by 78Eva

De Smet Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 16 photos

For "Little House" fans

Finally I got the chance to fulfil a childhood dream - I got to see the "Little Town on the Prairie" in De Smet, South Dakota.
De Smet is a small town in eastern South Dakota. The Ingalls family lived here from when Laura was about 12 years old. Laura and Almanzo later moved to Mansfield, Missouri, but the Ingalls family remained mostly in De Smet. It is here that you can visit the family's town house (with lots of objects in it) and their prairie homestead. On the cemetery in De Smet you can also see the Ingalls gravesites (not Laura's and Almanzo's).
For a "Little House on the Prairie" fan, this is a real must. You will find it is just what you wish to see.

And let me just make it clear: I am a fan of Laura Ingalls and her books, not the awful Michael Landon series!

• Pros:Historical site, well preserved, lots of interesting things to learn about the Ingalls family, well-informed staff
  • Cons:You can't take pictures inside the house
  • In a nutshell:THE thing for a Little House on the Prairie fan!
  • Last visit to De Smet: Oct 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 23, 2004

• morgane1692's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2004 at 2:41 PM

I share your enthusiam for all things Laura. I read her + Rose's books, over + over. Laura + I have the same bday! I visited Rocky Ridge Farm in 1991, + just like DeSmet, no cameras were allowed inside...;-(

• littlesam1's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2004 at 9:42 AM

How wonderful that this area is not overdone tourist wise. Its great to find things in their natural setting. Sound like a childhood fantasy come true for you.

• jmmorgan's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 10:23 AM

I enjoyed those books too!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 9:42 AM

Great tips on another very interesting little town.

78Eva

“I believe in such cartography (...)All I desired was to walk upon such an earth that had no maps (Ondaatje)”

Badges & Stats in De Smet

Have you been to De Smet?