"Thasos Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island by 78Eva

Thasos Island Travel Guide: 177 reviews and 463 photos

A qiet time at the sea

I spent two weeks on the island of Thasos. I knew hardly anything about the place, just wanted a quiet, cheap, warm place to relax after a few weeks of exams. No touristy spot, no bars, shops and all that. Just lying on the beach, going for walks, eating, relaxing....
If you are looking for that, then Thasos might be the right island for you. It is less known and less touristy than many of the Greek islands further south. Thasos is close to the northern coast, towards Bulgaria.
It's a beautiful little island, very mountaineous, in fact almost all of the villages and towns are right on the coast on the almost circular island. There are a few little villages up in the mountains inland - very original and beautiful and little visited (e.g. Theologos).
I stayed in Kinira, a small village on the eastern coast. It is really was very small, there a only a few hotels and pensions here. I was there in May, when I enjoyed the beautiful weather and complete lack of tourists.
The sea is clear and blue, great to swim in. Hiking opportunities are excellent. People are friendly. If you want the bigger towns once in a while, you can rent a car for a couple of days.
Do not come to Kinira if you're looking for nightlife, shops and entertainment. It has nothing of that sort. It has only a few places to eat.

• Pros:less touristy, warm, good for hiking and swimming, quiet, cheap
  • Cons:not much nightlife or entertainment, simple
  • In a nutshell:A great place to come to for a few quiet sunny weeks on an island!
  • Last visit to Thasos Island: May 1997
  • Intro Written May 13, 2004

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Long time since we were on Thassos. I wonder if it has lost any of it's charm? Some good tips here.

• mengu's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2006 at 7:14 AM

I am planing a trip to Thasos, your comments are very useful, thx..

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2005 at 3:14 AM

Hi! I stayed at Skala Potamia on Thassos Island - and LOVED it :) Will be doing my Thassos page more thoroughly soon. Lovely page, thank you :) Jen

• joernme's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2004 at 4:54 AM

Eva, that's the great about Greece, so many more or less remote islands to see - this one still is on my list, too... BTW, no word lost about your Norther German small town roots. I now live in a small N-German town... which has been your home???

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 10:39 AM

Great stuff Eva, just the place i would love to be right now, peace, quiet and only the sound of the sea in the background Mmmmmmmmm.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2004 at 6:49 AM

Great Pages! Love to see more people with the travel bug as much as my fiance and I... anytime you are in Texas you two are welcome! Tchuss!

78Eva

“I believe in such cartography (...)All I desired was to walk upon such an earth that had no maps (Ondaatje)”

Badges & Stats in Thasos Island

Have you been to Thasos Island?

Latest Activity in Thasos Island