"Siena, a very complex town" Siena by 78Eva
Siena Travel Guide: 897 reviews and 2,705 photos
Siena, how much I love this place. I spent the three best summers of my life here- filled to the maximum with wonderful people, interesting experiences, Italian language...
Siena memories belong to my fondest ever, and I can only recommend this town to anyone who is thinking of going there. It is my favourite place in Italy.
It is beautiful, historical, small enough to really get to know it. Don't make Siena a day trip.
Siena is a very complicated town - there is a history and a society that will take forever to get to know. The contrade and the Palio are part of this complexity. I have never spent the Palio locked in the middle of the campo in between crowds of people - way too scary. Once I lived so close to the campo I could watch it from the window. Once I watched it on television in a bar in a side street of the campo, imagine!
Although it is very hard to truly understand the passion that the Sienese have for the Palio, it is a very exciting event even for someone who hasn't got a clue. To Sienese this is immensely important, you will see grown-up men cry over a bad race of their contrada, or enemy contradas fighting bitterly.
- Pros:Small, beautiful, historical, complex
- Cons:a little hard to get to know the locals (going to the language school will help witht that) and pretty touristy during the summer months
- In a nutshell:An amazing place, the jewel of Tuscany!
In the province of Siena, there lies the medieval, walled little town of Monteriggioni. Every July, there is a medieval... more travel advice
Taverna San Guiseppe, Nonna Gina and Grattacielo are all great restaurants in Siena., and I spent many fun dinners and... more travel advice
78Eva's Related Pages
Siena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A thousand shades of brown"
- "Siena is wonderful place"
- "Siena: a good place to learn Italian :-)"
- "The true star of Tuscany"
- "Siena, the ochre city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Siena
- Hotels in Siena
- Transportation in Siena
- Nightlife in Siena
- Restaurants in Siena
- Shopping in Siena
- Warnings and Dangers in Siena
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Siena
- 7 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Siena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Siena
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fes Intro, 19 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ithaca Intro, 17 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thasos Island Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Stavanger Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Durham Intro, 8 reviews, 6 photos
- Siena Intro, 7 reviews, 4 photos
- Rehoboth Beach Intro, 5 reviews, 4 photos
- De Smet Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Bochum Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Saratoga Intro, 4 reviews, 3 photos