"Siena, a very complex town" Siena by 78Eva

Siena Travel Guide: 897 reviews and 2,705 photos

Siena, how much I love this place. I spent the three best summers of my life here- filled to the maximum with wonderful people, interesting experiences, Italian language...
Siena memories belong to my fondest ever, and I can only recommend this town to anyone who is thinking of going there. It is my favourite place in Italy.
It is beautiful, historical, small enough to really get to know it. Don't make Siena a day trip.
Siena is a very complicated town - there is a history and a society that will take forever to get to know. The contrade and the Palio are part of this complexity. I have never spent the Palio locked in the middle of the campo in between crowds of people - way too scary. Once I lived so close to the campo I could watch it from the window. Once I watched it on television in a bar in a side street of the campo, imagine!
Although it is very hard to truly understand the passion that the Sienese have for the Palio, it is a very exciting event even for someone who hasn't got a clue. To Sienese this is immensely important, you will see grown-up men cry over a bad race of their contrada, or enemy contradas fighting bitterly.

• Pros:Small, beautiful, historical, complex
  • Cons:a little hard to get to know the locals (going to the language school will help witht that) and pretty touristy during the summer months
  • In a nutshell:An amazing place, the jewel of Tuscany!
  • Last visit to Siena: Jul 2001
  • Intro Written Feb 24, 2004

78Eva

“I believe in such cartography (...)All I desired was to walk upon such an earth that had no maps (Ondaatje)”

Badges & Stats in Siena