"Hawarden, 2 castles and an airport" Hawarden by muguruki
Hawarden Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 30 photos
This statue of W. E. Gladstone is in front of St Deiniol’s library which he founded in Hawarden next to St Deiniol’s church. Gladstone’s name is all over Hawarden, roads and parks are named after the 4 times prime minister. He is not a native of Hawarden but was born in Liverpool the 4th son to the wealthy Gladstone family who made their money from plantations in Jamaica and Guyana. Not unsurprising for someone whose wealth was made by slavery is that one of his first speeches in parliament was in defence of slavery saying that it is not in the interest of slaves and coolies for slavery to be abolished.
E D Morel. (Georges Edmond Pierre Achille Dene Morel de Ville) although born in a Paris suburb of a French father and English mother lived in Hawarden.
Whilst working on the docks in Liverpool as a Clerk at Elder Dempster shipping line he realised that the trade figures had been doctored. Thousands of tons of tropical products mainly rubber were being exported from the Congo without any corresponding trade in exchange. It was obvious to Morel that the natives were getting nothing in exchange and realised that forced labour was being used to acquire the “red rubber”.
He then formed and became a leading member of the Congo reform association bringing to light the atrocities of the King Leopold of Belgium’s private fiefdom that was the Congo “free state”.
If you are a real sado you could always do a bit of plane spotting at Hawarden Airport. Here you can see the Airbus... more travel advice
muguruki's Related Pages
Hawarden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hawarden, 2 castles and an airport"
- "A Sleepy Village"
- "Nice Village"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hawarden
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Hawarden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hawarden
Photos in HawardenSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 44 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampala Intro, 58 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Entebbe Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Gulu Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lira Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malindi Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos