"Gulu, by ek it's grim up north." Gulu by muguruki
Gulu Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 35 photos
These poor buggers have had it hard up here in Gulu. The war in the north of Uganda is officially on going, Joseph Kony (formerly of this parish) has yet to sign a peace deal with the Museveni government. In fact Kony and 3 other members of the LRA (Lords Resistance Army) wont appear at peace talks in person until The ICC drops the charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity against them.
There may not be any “tourist attractions” in Gulu but if anywhere in Uganda needs the benefit of your hard-earned lucre its Northern Uganda.
Things are quite different in the North of Uganda there is a completely different feel to the country once you are north of Lake Kyoga. There is a lot less Luganda spoken here than in other parts of the country, and as a white bloke when I walk down a rural road in Uganda you are quite often followed down the road by a gaggle of kids shouting out “muzungu, muzungu”. In the north you will soon get used to hearing kids shouting “Munu munu” or more bizarrely “munu bye!" You will be unlucky to find someone who doesn’t speak English but if you do getting by in Kiswahili would be a great help.
Who needs bellows when you’ve got an old pushbike wheel to fire up your furnace.
This young chappie was heating up metal gate hinges and hammering them into shape by the side of the road in Gulu town with his ingenious bike wheel powered bellows.
Walking around Gulu you do come across reminders of its grim past there are signs for things like “Gulu landmine survivors group”.
- Pros:Lovely people, lovely food.
- Cons:There are no cons I want to return.
I was in Gulu in May 2013 and the market had been replaced by a building site. If the proposed artists’ impression of... more travel advice
Worth having a look at while you are in Gulu town is the district head quarters. The District HQ is a rather elaborately... more travel advice
muguruki's Related Pages
Gulu Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Gulu
- Hotels in Gulu
- Transportation in Gulu
- Nightlife in Gulu
- Restaurants in Gulu
- Shopping in Gulu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gulu
- 22 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Gulu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gulu
Photos in GuluSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 43 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampala Intro, 58 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Entebbe Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Gulu Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malindi Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Soroti Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos