"Jinja, not tangawizi." Jinja by muguruki
Jinja Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 144 photos
Former second city of Uganda, former industrial heart land of UG and these days possibly site of the former source of the Nile as Rwanda now has a claim that the mighty river spews forth from headwaters of the Rukarara River. So Jinja has seen better days.
Mind you the first time I visited the town in 2000 it looked even sadder at least now there are a gaggle of shops selling tourist tat as well as the offices of tour companies along Main Street. And there are more than the couple of bars I remember from 10 years ago when a dozen people in New Rendezvous would be a big night out. Most of the other watering holes at that time would be a tailor’s shop that would plonk a few stools outside their shop and sell the odd bottle of Bell.
There are now a good few bars at the Nile end of the long Main Street but saying that non that I would rush back to
The industries in Jinja sprung up after a ready supply of electricity appeared in the form of the Owen Falls Dam in 195? The Dam also serves as a road bridge and this also has seen better days. There are now plans for a new road bridge a local told me that it is planned to be built between the existing dam/bridge and the railway bridge. We’ll see if the bridge does get built in the next couple of years
A lot of the buildings in Jinja town centre are Indian built homes and shops that housed the large East African Asian population before being booted out of the country in 1972 by Idi Amin after "god told him to expel the Asians in a dream".
The mostly low rise town centre is now dwarfed over by a really ugly concrete telecoms tower. Urgh!
I was told the main Hindu temple is situauted on the way to the show ground from Jinja town but this temple is a lovely... more travel advice
The Crystal Palace Hotel is a huge building that is several stories tall with a central courtyard with room to park... more travel advice
muguruki's Related Pages
Jinja Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Source of the nile"
- "Jinja - Source of the River Nile"
- "Jinja - Source of Nile"
- "Jinja - Rafting, Rivers and some R&R...."
- "Jinja, not tangawizi."
- "Jinja - Rafting at the Source of the Nile"
- "Jewel of the Nile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jinja
- Hotels in Jinja
- Transportation in Jinja
- Nightlife in Jinja
- Restaurants in Jinja
- Shopping in Jinja
- Warnings and Dangers in Jinja
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jinja
- 12 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Jinja?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jinja
Photos in JinjaSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 44 reviews, 120 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampala Intro, 58 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Entebbe Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Gulu Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lira Intro, 17 reviews, 25 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malindi Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos