"Kitgum" Kitgum by muguruki

Kitgum Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 10 photos

The pride of the north.

The reason I wanted to go to Kitgum in the first place was that I was hoping to get to Kalongo from there. When I got to the taxi park I found that there was only one pick up truck a day that plied the unpaved road for a couple of hours all the way to Kalongo. The vehicle that I saw in the taxi park looked as though it would struggle to get a hundred yards down the road so I decided then that maybe I wouldn’t bother going to Kalongo after all.

Kitgum is all very low rise and spread over quite a large area all the buildings appear to be Indian built dukas that must have been built a long time ago. I can imagine Kitgum must have been quite an important town at one time. I’m sure if the tarmac road continues from Gulu to Kitgum better days would follow as at the moment Kitgum has got the look of a forgotten town.

Kitgum is not a million miles from the Sudanese border and frequent transport heads in the direction of Uganda’s northern neighbour. There is a considerable South Sudanese population in town and tall Dinka men can be seen with their distinct scars on their foreheads.

• Last visit to Kitgum: Nov 2010
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2010

Comments

muguruki

“The highly coloured unreality of foreignness.”

Badges & Stats in Kitgum