"Masaka spuds!" Masaka by muguruki
Masaka Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 16 photos
I had always been curious about visiting Masaka but curiosity killed this cat. It really is an unremarkable town set in unremarkable countryside. I never got to see the nearby lake Nabugabo as I had intended as the day I was going to head off to the beach it chucked it down just before I left town. Maybe if I had gone I might have had a different opinion of the surrounding countryside.
The town situated about halfway between Kampala and Mbarara is pretty much what the town is like. Masaka is neither one nor the other and sadly falls between two stools. It has big city pretensions with a lot of building of gorofas in the town centre that will eventually become a honey-comb of small shops the like of which are scattered throughout Kampala. Some of these several storied buildings still have unoccupied shops but the building of more seems to be going on. But neither does Masaka have the upcountry charm of Mbarara and sadly it also has poorer night life than either the capital of Uganda or the capital of Ankoleland.
For a sizeable town I was surprised at the amount of people that could not speak English and only spoke Luganda something I expect only in more rural places in UG. I was only in town for two days but on a few occasions I had to make myself understood by speaking Swahili as English only brought blank looks.
The highlight of my stay was seeing how the locals catch ssenene (grasshoppers) that I’ve written about in the things to do tips.
From the centre of town if you head downhill and in a southerly direction you will I’m sure end up in the taxi park, but... more travel advice
This is rather a smart hotel despite the bizarre site of a ludicrously kitsch concrete Zebra standing guard at the... more travel advice
muguruki's Related Pages
Masaka Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Masaka
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Masaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Masaka
Photos in MasakaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 43 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampala Intro, 58 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Entebbe Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Gulu Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malindi Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Soroti Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos