"Kavirondo - Port Florence - Kisumu" Kisumu by muguruki
Kisumu Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 31 photos
Only stopped in Kisumu to break up my journey from Nairobbery to Kampala and ended up staying for a couple of days as well as calling in again on the way back. Although there is not an awful lot to do in Kisumu it is still a thoroughly pleasant town.
Kisumu was once a really busy port on Lake Victoria but these days due to the low levels of water on the lake and the return of the dreaded water hyacinth sadly now no ferries are able to operate on the lake.
Ferry services used to once operate to Jinja and Port Bell in Uganda and to Mwanza and Bukoba in Tanzania.The ferry services from the port were once the continuation of the train service that ran all the way from Mombasa on the East African coast.
I stumbled on this protest against female cutting and for womens rights on the day after I arrived in Kisumu. Female genital mutilation is a real problem in Western Kenya especially amongst the Gussi people who live to the south of Kisumu.
According to a 1998 survey in Kenya, 38% of women aged between 15 and 49 years old were estimated to have undergone FGM.
The easiest way to get to either Nairobi or Kampala from Kisumu is probably by Akamaba Bus Services. They have two... more travel advice
Possibly the best barber in East Africa! Not so much because of the quality of the haircuts although I was well happy... more travel advice
muguruki's Related Pages
Kisumu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My Home village -Rural"
- "Kavirondo - Port Florence - Kisumu"
- "Kisumu just for passing through"
- "Sooper Guesthouse Kisumu. 2010"
- ""The Vic Hotel" Lovely Modern Hotel in Kisumu"
- "The Lakeside City"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kisumu
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Kisumu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kisumu
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Uganda Intro, 43 reviews, 119 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kampala Intro, 58 reviews, 94 photos, 1 travelogue
- Wales Intro, 28 reviews, 83 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mombasa Intro, 41 reviews, 62 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 47 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Entebbe Intro, 25 reviews, 29 photos
- Gulu Intro, 22 reviews, 24 photos
- Nairobi Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Malindi Intro, 17 reviews, 24 photos
- Soroti Intro, 17 reviews, 23 photos